NC31 - Drive Chain Adjustment

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
gushmul
One Hit Wonder
Reactions:
NC31 - Drive Chain Adjustment

Post by gushmul » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:47 pm

Afternoon all, first post on here after a few weeks lurking whilst tinkering with my NC31 and I've hit my first snag (possibly just me being daft but it could help someone else out there).

My bike passed its MOT last Monday (just before the grace period was introduced!) and I got the all clear other than front brake pads (now replaced with minimal drama and swearing). The guy said my drive chain was a bit loose but not enough for an advisory.

So, after swapping out all my brake pads this weekend I decided to have a quick fiddle around to see if I could work out how to adjust the chain tension on this bike. I was a bit baffled to find both nuts on the adjustment axle seem to turn freely, rather than having a securing nut and an adjustment nut. I checked the standard issue American CB1 and Russian->English CB400SF manuals and neither actually seems to give instructions on making the adjustment, just giving the spec of 15-25mm free play at the centre of the lower run.

I've seen people mentioning adjustment of the drive chain as part of another post on here but not discussing the method of adjustment. Could anyone shed any light as to what I actually need to do, or point me towards a more useful service manual?

Thanks!