Rebuilding NC-30 Brakes

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
sportcraftmoto
Settled in member
Reactions:
Rebuilding NC-30 Brakes

Post by sportcraftmoto » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:32 pm

Looking for what might seam to be a small problem but has turned out to be a huge pain in the butt.
I'm building a 1991 NC-30 for road racing. I have found all the seals and caliper pistons. Then I go to install the bleeder nipple with a new piece expecting the ones that came with the New kit (kit is hard to find by the way as most suppliers think that its like all the other Nissin caliper that came on VTR1000F, CBR's ETC wrong) will not work ! The size and thread pitch is the same as all of that era of Nissin caliper but the overall length (tip of nipple to tip of lintel ) is 10 mm longer. So if you try to use the normal bleeder to get it to seal you would need to run the blood thing down so far that the hex would be below the caliper housing. I have measured and the differences are as follows ; over-all length is 10 mm longer, the diameter of the bleeder nipple is smaller, the threaded area is 2 mm longer, finally the leftover 2 mm is for a grove for a tiny "O" ring. Now I will say the use of the "O" ring is kind of nice as it allows one to use a vacuum bleeder without getting air bubbles in the tube there by letting the technician konw sooner and without guessing when the line/caliper is truly free of air.

Does anyone know where I can get more of these little guys (just FYI the ones on the bike now are pretty much NFG ) or what bikes and from what era these things come from. I don't want to start ordering them on line (tried once already) because everyone thinks they are the same as all the other Nissin four piston calipers that came on Honda's around that time.

Thanks ahead of time to anyone who might help.

Cheers
Richard

tazbert
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: Rebuilding NC-30 Brakes

Post by tazbert » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:29 am

Hiya, I was ordering some parts from Wemoto, they look to have the bleed nipples. Says they are the genuine Honda part. That help?

sportcraftmoto
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by sportcraftmoto » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:52 pm

Hey Taxbert,

Thanks for the lead I'll head to their site right now. My new friends at Brakecrafter (no relation to Sportcrafters in San Francisco but turned out to be good folks) will be interested also as they are trying to put together proper rebuild kits for these motorbikes.
Thank you again.
Cheers
Rich

cbr400rrn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 CBR600F

Post by cbr400rrn » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:33 pm

https://www.davidsilverspares.com
Only ever used the UK site so can't comment on the US site but ive used their stuff in the UK and not had many problems. They sell oe as well as pattern parts

tazbert
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by tazbert » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:06 am

I can also recommend David Silver, but when I was looking on the site I could only find the rear nipple not the front one. May have missed it!

richhemmings
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400 NC30

Post by richhemmings » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:41 pm

Both the above are good. I ordered some for my imported NC30 of the same year some time ago and they fit no problem, so unless Wemoto have changed supplier/stock since then (was years ago tbf). You should be good.