Won’t start

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Jordansilver1
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: Fizzy FS1E royal Enfield Grom
Won’t start

Post by Jordansilver1 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:50 pm

I’ve tried to start my nc30 but no luck it turns I normally start her with full choke open but I’ve run battery flat so I tried it with a jumper pack but it backfired few pops but won’t catch so not sure if I flooded it I’ve clean rear plugs up and then tried but no luck should I just leave it till morning then have another go any help appreciated

Jordansilver1
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: Won’t start

Post by Jordansilver1 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:57 pm

Well I changed rear two spark plugs and she started great .problem I have is when I purchased the bike fitted in the yoke is a digital volt gauge and when I turn the keys on it only shows 10 volt but the bike after two goes if it don’t catch the battery gives up .but when I do get it started the volts go up and when I rev it goes above 13 volt on that gauge .Another thing I tried was another battery which is new but it was a 7L bs so don’t know if that was ok but bike wouldn’t start with that battery ? And it also showed on volt gauge 10v so not sure if I need to get a new battery or if I can get it tested first or anything else I just want the bike to have a few goes on button to start before she goes dead .Also once she’s been started she will start ok on that day it’s just first thing

magg
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400

Post by magg » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:53 am

More history could help, when did the poor starting begin, has the bike been standing for some time, how old is the battery. Assuming the voltmeter is accurate, 10 volts is a flat battery, new or otherwise, and probably a dud that could have dropped a cell. You would be lucky to get the engine to crank with 10 volts and the ignition output would not be too flash either. I would try a jumper pack again to prove it starts and once the engine is running you need to ensure that the battery voltage rises to at least 14 volts to keep the battery charged. Probably best to get a new battery, holding a charge for only one day is not good.

Suzuki416
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: 3 x NC35, 3x NC24, NC29, RC46

Post by Suzuki416 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:47 pm

When were all the plugs last checked / changed?
How does it run?
What do the plugs look like colour wise?

Jordansilver1
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Jordansilver1 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:51 am

I’m not sure when they were changed last but I’ll get them changed in next couple of weeks and I’ll fit a new battery .Bike runs well when started also is a Motobatt battery a good one to go for thanks

Jordansilver1
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Jordansilver1 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:23 am

I’m looking to purchase a battery is the Motobatt battery a good choice I normally leave it on trickle charge

CB1pod70
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by CB1pod70 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:24 am

I've used Motobatts on numerous bikes and they are no problem at all. Not really a fan of leaving bikes permanently on a trickle charge. If you're not using the bike for a period of time, it's best just to disconnect the terminals and give the battery a charge every now and again. Every battery I've left on a trickle charge has died prematurely.

magg
Reactions:

Post by magg » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:28 am

The model of charger you use and are you sure the charger functions correctly.

Jordansilver1
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Jordansilver1 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:50 am

I have the bike on a optimum charger I’ve had nine started since problem is I’m not sure if this is normal for a nc30 I get about 3 or 4 goes on the button to start her then battery runs flat but if I leave it on charge up again and have another go she will finally start and then run tidy and start all day with no problem should I get battery off the bike and get it tested I. Local shop

magg
Reactions:

Post by magg » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:55 pm

Have you measured the battery voltage when the bike is running. Perhaps the battery is not getting a full charge when the engine is running. Best to check the charging voltage before you get another battery.