NC35/RVF400: Clutch is not fully disengaging

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
jko969
Settled in member
Reactions:
NC35/RVF400: Clutch is not fully disengaging

Post by jko969 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:03 am

I've recently purchased a RVF400 and on the second day of ownership I realised that the bike is slowly pulling forward while in gear with the clutch lever pulled in (as if the clutch is not fully disengaging) and currently trying to figure out what the cause is. I've ridden the bike for a few hours now and have not noticed any clutch slippage while going through the rev range.

I have tried the following:
- Adjustments made to both the lever and clutch arm/rod on the left hand side where the clutch cable attaches to and no matter what adjustments I make, it still pulls forward slowly.
- Changed the oil (10W40 semi-synthetic) and allowed the bike to warm up to operating temperatures
- Purchased an OEM clutch cable (22870-MR8-900) and compared the cable length to the current one on the bike and they were exactly the same length so I didnt bother swapping them over.

I am now looking at inspecting inside the clutch basket to see if there are any grooves that could be causing the clutch discs/plates to not smoothly slide and retract that may need to be filed down. Would there be anything else I should inspect closely?

I've purchased new clutch discs, steel plates, clutch nut, and clutch release bearing to change out as I may as well since it's being disassembled. Is it worth replacing the clutch springs?

Just wanting to reach out and get some more ideas/recommendations on things to check that could potentially be causing this issue.

Thanks.

jko969
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: NC35/RVF400: Clutch is not fully disengaging

Post by jko969 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:57 am

I'd like to thank everyone for the useful tips and advice!

@Admin, feel free to delete thread.

Regards,
Jko969

richyrd5
Reactions:

Post by richyrd5 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:12 pm

Hey bud,if you've done the basics like you have done it's more than likely the springs/diagphram or as said grooves in basket..just replace it all if you've gone that far....forgive the lots of answers.!!!.not many come on here nowadays!!!'unfortunately

jko969
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by jko969 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:50 am

richyrd5 wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:12 pm
Hey bud,if you've done the basics like you have done it's more than likely the springs/diagphram or as said grooves in basket..just replace it all if you've gone that far....forgive the lots of answers.!!!.not many come on here nowadays!!!'unfortunately
I had replaced the clutch friction disks and plates with brand new ones (ferodo clutch plates and gecko steel discs), new clutch nut and release bearing.
The grooves in the basket were most likely the cause of the clutch not fully disengaging. They were filed down a bit to obtain a smooth surface again.

richyrd5
Reactions:

Post by richyrd5 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:16 am

Ah so all good now yes?..can be the littlest of things that stop play..glad you sorted it...

jko969
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by jko969 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:09 am

richyrd5 wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:16 am
Ah so all good now yes?..can be the littlest of things that stop play..glad you sorted it...
Yeah It rides super nice now.

I can get into neutral so easily.

Amazing.