NC31 Long Term Storage

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
DSInstrell
One Hit Wonder
Reactions:
NC31 Long Term Storage

Post by DSInstrell » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:49 am

I've picked up a 94 NC31 (that I've previously owned) after it had been stolen. I basically want to store it for a couple of years until I retire and have the time to really go to work on it. Any advice on storage for such a long period? First thing I'm really interested in is the tank - drain and store in a dry place or fill up with fuel and stabiliser? I believe the fuel has gelled in the carbs already as it no longer fires on all cylinders and, given the time since it last ran properly, this wouldn't be a surprise.

Like i say, I want this to be a real project of love but don't have the time to do what I'd like yet. Any advice is more than welcome.

Cheers

Foxy400
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35 NC29 Bonneville CBR600F4i
Re: NC31 Long Term Storage

Post by Foxy400 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:54 pm

If I was storing a tank for couple of years, that could well turn into 'several' years, I would drain it and check for rust first. If necessary derust it (there are various methods) then pour a little oil into it and turn it over and around until your arms ache, so that the oil coats all surfaces. Store in a dry place.