The ol' rec/reg problem (again).

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
dgunthor
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: The ol' rec/reg problem (again).

Post by dgunthor » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:03 am

good result

Jordansilver1
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: Fizzy FS1E royal Enfield Grom

Post by Jordansilver1 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:05 pm

I’m in similar position I think my rectifier has gone as volts go up to 17v how much was new one also wear from and did you just plug in or change the plug also

Foxy400
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35 NC29 Bonneville CBR600F4i

Post by Foxy400 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:27 am

Sorry for taking so long to respond to your post! I've been stuck in New Zealand for several weeks and only managed to get a flight home last Thursday. You've probably sorted this by now anyway but..
I got a replacement rec/reg from Graeme France. It's a heavy duty unit and better than the original. I can't remember what it cost I'm afraid but if you need one you've gotta pay up. I think I simply removed the old one and plugged in the replacement, without changing anything else.
If you want any more info let me know and I'll dig out my notes (yes, I write down everything that's done to my bikes because I can never remember what was done to which or when :? ..comes with age!).

Jordansilver1
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: Fizzy FS1E royal Enfield Grom

Post by Jordansilver1 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:42 am

Thanks foxy yes I will purchase a good new replacement then get it checked on multimeter again

Foxy400
Reactions:

Post by Foxy400 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:43 pm

Some more info in case you're interested. My replacement cost £92 direct from GF. It came with a new plug but as the original looked ok (to me) I didn't change it. Some time later I was zipping along the local bypass when the bike hit around 10,000 and started to splutter and struggle, eventually coming to a halt. After a brief rest it started and ran but had the same problem every time the revs built up. Long story short, after several calls to GF he took the bike away (while I was touring NZ). Amongst several things he did was to cut out the original rec/reg plug and fit a new one (if I'd known, I could have given him the new one that came in the box and saved myself £12), as well as the generator connection. It seems both had been damaged when the rec/reg died.
Had no problems since.

cbr400rrn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 CBR600F

Post by cbr400rrn » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:47 pm

Would it have been saved if the plug that came with the rectifier was changed at the same time or was the generator plug knackered by then also

Foxy400
Reactions:

Post by Foxy400 » Fri May 01, 2020 10:11 am

Yup, should have changed the rec/reg plug at the same time. Whether the generator connection was damaged when the original R/R blew or later, when I ran the bike without swopping the R/R plug I don't know for sure, but I think it was the former. I should have checked both connections more thoroughly.
If Magg reads this he'll probably be able to shed some light.