fuel tap repair kit

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
socket13
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: Honda SP1, BSA Golden Flash, H
fuel tap repair kit

Post by socket13 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:00 pm

i had the fuel tank off my 1992 NC30 recently, i noticed a small pool of fuel on the bench under the fuel outlet, even though the tap was in the off position, i had recently rebuilt the tap with a genuine Honda repair kit so i thought it was possible user error in the rebuild, i ordered a new kit from Rick O,and with his help rebuilt the tap, i read somewhere the leaking problem was in the other side of the tap, and to cure it needed a repair kit where you drilled out the rivets to get to an "O" ring that needed replacing, my question is where can i purchase one of these kits? all advice greatly appreciated !!

decngb
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC21, NC24, NC30, VFR800, MC19
Re: fuel tap repair kit

Post by decngb » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:26 pm

That sounds like you were describing a thread I may have started or posted in regarding an NC21 or NC24. In any case, NRP Carbs had the parts for my NC21 and NC24, and they seem to have the same for the NC30. Assuming you replaced the diaphragm, then the other side is the rivet side that includes the gasket for the rotating parts for the tap (assuming it works like those on the NC21/24). This kit should do the trick:

http://www.nrp-carbs.co.uk/shop/index.p ... ct_id=2897

socket13
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: Honda SP1, BSA Golden Flash, H
Re: fuel tap repair kit

Post by socket13 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:13 pm

i went ahead and bought the kit from NRP Carbs, i had heard mixed reactions about fitting this kit but it was pretty straight forward, the one thing i did wrong/differently was to pull the tap apart before drilling and tapping the rivet,they advise to do that first which is sensible because it would stop all the swarf from entering the tap, i wasnt that confident in drilling and tapping such a small thread so i took it to a precision engineer and he did a great job for a tenner, the tap always felt a bit "graunchy" but after fitting the kit it felt smooth with a more positive feel to it when switching from on to reserve to off, the problem ive since discovered was where the diaphragm seated in the tap was damaged, and had a pitted appearance to it so there no chance of the diaphragm seating properly.