Front sprocket play

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Lewis34
Settled in member
Reactions:
Front sprocket play

Post by Lewis34 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:23 am

Hi lads,
Quick question.. is it usual to have slight play in the front sprocket or should it be completely solid?
Thanks,
Lewis

magg
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400
Re: Front sprocket play

Post by magg » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:30 am

If talking NC30/35 then sprocket is solidly locked onto the shaft with a large nut.

RickOliver
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by RickOliver » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:10 pm

Sorry, but you`re wrong, Magg - the large washer is clamped firmly to the end of the shaft by the centre bolt but the sprocket behind it has a bit of lateral float.

This is done deliberately - if the bolt/washer clamped tightly on to the sprocket then the slight clockwise/anticlockwise movement of the sprocket allowed by the clearance in the splines as you accelerate and decelerate would slowly loosen the bolt....

Rick

JAFO
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by JAFO » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:34 am

Speaking of front sprocket play I have a few other quick questions if I may add to the thread as I am about to replace both front and rear

On the rear sprocket, do you have to remove the hub to replace it or can you just unbolt the current sprocket it from the hub?

Also, what size is the bolt head for the front sprocket? Is it RH or LH threaded?

Thanks in advance

RickOliver
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by RickOliver » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:04 am

No need to remove the sprocket carrier from the axle, just unbolt the sprocket from the carrier, front sprocket bolt is right hand thread.

If you are fitting a standard width (525) rear sprocket, be aware that the offset should be inwards, not outwards (i.e. fit it with the recessed side of the sprocket facing the carrier).

Rick

magg
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400

Post by magg » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:46 pm

Rick, happy to be corrected but my aftermarket front sprockets have no lateral movement. The sprocket spline boss needs "crushing" to butt the bolt to the end of the shaft, but not much, perhaps 0.1mm. Torquing the bolt eliminates the 0.1mm. Maybe the OEM sprocket has a narrow spline boss. Don't have an OEM sprocket to measure.