RVF400 NC35 ongoing problem

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Travis
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: RVF400 NC35 ongoing problem

Post by Travis » Wed May 22, 2019 11:22 am

Speedy wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 2:26 pm
Travis wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 2:31 pm

Side stand and kill switch would cut spark, I have spark though? just no ignition which is driving me mad.
The kill switch kills the ignition; I believe the side stand switch does the same.
When the kill switch is on the 'Off' position, the starter motor will still work, but the engine won't fire up.
I'm assuming you have the kill switch on the 'Run' position, (you wouldn't be the first ;) ) so maybe check the wiring, connector and the switch itself too; it's worth checking the clutch switch as well.
Thanks for the ipnut, I also have a VFR that I use often, so im versed in the RUN switch and clutch switch routine, I also do make sure side stand is up and orange light off when trying to start the RVF. I think its a matter of coughing up for a set of new plugs and taking it from there.. or trying the plugs from the working VFR in the non starting RVF and see what happens.

Travis
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Travis » Wed May 22, 2019 11:24 am

The set of plugs I have are brand new - I used them once only, but then I did have leaking float valves, and flooded the engine, is it actually possible to kill a brand new plug, by getting the thing wet with fuel? I mean how is this even possible?

magg
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400

Post by magg » Wed May 22, 2019 12:03 pm

You could try easy-start, carb cleaner or fuel sprayed into the carby throats while trying to start the engine. If you have fuel, spark and compression it should start.

Travis
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Travis » Wed May 22, 2019 12:08 pm

magg wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 12:03 pm
You could try easy-start, carb cleaner or fuel sprayed into the carby throats while trying to start the engine. If you have fuel, spark and compression it should start.
Will give that a go this weekend, any thoughts on the possibility of a spark thats not strong enough? is something like this possible? my dad suggested this too, he said we should take a spray bottle and open the intake and spray some fuel in and see what happens. at least then we know without a doubt there is fuel vapor in the chambers

magg
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400

Post by magg » Wed May 22, 2019 12:45 pm

Evaluating spark power by simple observation, particularly with such small spark plugs is difficult. You could try poking a wire up the plug cap and connecting the other end to a conventional plug with the ground electrode removed.

Travis
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Travis » Wed May 22, 2019 2:42 pm

magg wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 12:45 pm
Evaluating spark power by simple observation, particularly with such small spark plugs is difficult. You could try poking a wire up the plug cap and connecting the other end to a conventional plug with the ground electrode removed.
Agreed, my poor old man (69 years old) cant see the spark at all, my younger eyes can see the faintest little spark. tiny tiny spark, that moves around the plug and fires every which way, but its as thin as a thread.

Can you elaborate on this part: "onventional plug with the ground electrode removed" you lost me here, removing the ground electrode? i want to try this, but not sure what this is all about. thanks again for your time and trying to help

Travis
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Travis » Wed May 22, 2019 2:46 pm

Ok I googled what the ground electrode is, why would this need be removed for this test? thanks.

Speedy
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: RVF400RR, ER6n

Post by Speedy » Wed May 22, 2019 3:39 pm

These plugs really don't like being flooded! Some say that you can burn the fuel off with a blow torch, or on the gas hob and then get a wire brush to get all the soot off them.
As you said earlier, try the plugs from your VFR and see what's what.
P.s. Pull all 4 plugs off from the RVF at the same time, so that if there's any fuel in the cyclinders it'll have time to evaporate, then get the others from the VFR; maybe get it running for a couple of minutes, before pulling them.
Good luck!
When the mind is relaxed, the body will go faster! 8-)

CMSMJ1
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30-No9

Post by CMSMJ1 » Wed May 22, 2019 4:51 pm

It is dead easy to kill plugs.. SO my money on that
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

The V4 is the law..

NC30 - No9 - my old mate

Suzuki416
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: 3 x NC35, 3x NC24, NC29, RC46

Post by Suzuki416 » Wed May 22, 2019 7:07 pm

Also agreed - these plugs are rubbish when they get wet. Don't buy new ones yet - pull the old ones and stick them on the hob to Burn the fuel off. Then if you have the option ultrasonic clean them. Then try again.