NC30 - How should it run?

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
JDPercival
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30
Re: NC30 - How should it run?

Post by JDPercival » Tue May 14, 2019 8:03 pm

CMSMJ1 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 4:48 pm
Could well be a loose system - but they normally make more of a ticking than a booming noise!

Checking airbox has the front snorkel and the flap beneath the airbox is in place is the first step. If you can pull the airbox/carbs up as a unit and it moves at all - then you might have loose carb rubbers - where they connect to the motor - might need to re-seat them and nip them up. You'll need a long screwdriver for this - think it is a pozidrive x2 head - someone will correct me!
So, there is a ticking coming from the front the bike, its not really my biggest worry though as I've had the tank off and now I cant get the bike to start any more. I put everything bag as it was.

Anyway I've attached the pictures, Not sure exactly what I was looking for to be honest. I tried to move the carbs and they didn't seem to budge I tightened down the clamps anyway.

Airbox on from the top not sure if this helps
Fuel hose seems a bit damaged maybe thats why it wont start
Air filter looks good to me
Top of carbs
Bit of oil in the airbox

JDPercival
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by JDPercival » Tue May 14, 2019 10:26 pm

Been fiddling with it all night, Need to get it working as I am planning on camping with it this weekend at MCN Festival.

Is there supposed to be 3 Hoses that come from the fuel tap?
I have the vacuum hose which I believe is working correctly coming straight out the bottom of the tap. Then there is the larger main hose for main fuel.
But I noticed another spigot coming off the tap just to the side of that. for the life of me I can't see any hose that I would have missed and not connected back up.

Hoping I haven't buggered it too bad. Ran out of light and time now so its back in the garage.

magg
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400

Post by magg » Tue May 14, 2019 11:44 pm

May be it runs on four only at idle. Does it rev crisp and clean in neutral. Carbies may need cleaning. A picture of the other side would help identify the exhaust system.

magg
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400

Post by magg » Tue May 14, 2019 11:50 pm

Only two hoses. Spigot out the bottom of tap is a drain. Other small horizontal spigot is vacuum hose.

JDPercival
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by JDPercival » Wed May 15, 2019 11:10 am

magg wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 11:50 pm
Only two hoses. Spigot out the bottom of tap is a drain. Other small horizontal spigot is vacuum hose.
So the small spigot heading the same direction as the main fuel hose is the vacuum, I think that is my error. I have connected the vacuum from the engine to the vertical spigot heading straight down.

I put the vacuum hose on the vertical spigot and blew on it. that let fuel flow so I presumed that was the correct spigot. And I thought that where I disconnected it from. I'm working away at the moment and should be back on Thursday evening. I will try connecting it to the correct spigot :oops: and then try revving it in neutral.

CMSMJ1
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30-No9

Post by CMSMJ1 » Thu May 16, 2019 10:05 am

Looks "normal" :) and the hoses thing, everyone does that!! Several times too....

The bottom spigot is the drain, as was said - the other one, the bike sucks the tap open.

I cannot see clearly, or might just be dumb, but the front of the airbox has a snout and if that is fiddled with it can affect fuelling.

It may be that the carbs have been set to non standard and now the bike is not liking it - there is oftentimes a lot of fiddle and and no dyno run to verify the correct setup.

get it running, enjoy the festival - don't kink these pipes - and be sure to clamp them on as vacuum hoses can come off!!
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

The V4 is the law..

NC30 - No9 - my old mate

Travis
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Travis » Thu May 16, 2019 2:35 pm

My guess is dirty carbs, one of the circuits is likely blocked. Judging by how dirty the outside of the carbs are, seems reasonable the inside is as bad. my VFR ran worse and worse until it would not start. I suggest: Carb clean, valve clearances be set, new plugs and 99% of the time it will be right as rain again. these bikes need this maintenance done to run smoothly and it could be a combination of these things.

JDPercival
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by JDPercival » Fri May 17, 2019 1:24 pm

CMSMJ1 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 10:05 am
Looks "normal" :) and the hoses thing, everyone does that!! Several times too....

The bottom spigot is the drain, as was said - the other one, the bike sucks the tap open.

I cannot see clearly, or might just be dumb, but the front of the airbox has a snout and if that is fiddled with it can affect fuelling.

It may be that the carbs have been set to non standard and now the bike is not liking it - there is oftentimes a lot of fiddle and and no dyno run to verify the correct setup.

get it running, enjoy the festival - don't kink these pipes - and be sure to clamp them on as vacuum hoses can come off!!
Yep.. won't make that mistake again :whistle:

There is a definite ticking coming from the front of the bike. Can't seem to get a socket on the exhaust header bolts. Doesn't look like there is any movement though.

Once I am back from the festival, I will take the carbs of and have a go at cleaning them along with attempting valve clearances, seems I have some tools that need ordering...

Do I need to drain all my coolant to get at the exhaust headers and remove?

Cheers,
Josh

Vincent
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: '89 NC30 T1, '92 NC30 T8

Post by Vincent » Fri May 17, 2019 11:30 pm

JDPercival wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 1:24 pm
Yep.. won't make that mistake again :whistle:

There is a definite ticking coming from the front of the bike. Can't seem to get a socket on the exhaust header bolts. Doesn't look like there is any movement though.

Once I am back from the festival, I will take the carbs of and have a go at cleaning them along with attempting valve clearances, seems I have some tools that need ordering...

Do I need to drain all my coolant to get at the exhaust headers and remove?

Cheers,
Josh

I wouldn't worry too much about the ticking. The cam gears made a bit of a ticking noise as they rotate when the springs on the scissor gear get a bit old. Every NC30 I've had has ticked a bit, even after the valves have just been done.
Easy enough to shine a flashlight up around the header to see if there are any traces of soot which would indicate that it's loose.

You don't need to drain the coolant to get at the headers, just remove the bolts holding the radiators in place and pull them down and out a bit.

JDPercival
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by JDPercival » Mon May 20, 2019 4:40 pm

Made it to the show and back, Ran ran very well as it normally does. Got another trip this coming weekend. Poor bugger is getting abused.

I'll check tonight for the sutt coming out the exhaust headers.

thanks for everyone's advice. I reckon that bike needs a proper seeing to and a good service. valve clearances etc.

I will get round to it when I have the space.

Cheers,
Josh