NC24 air filter

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
NC24Doug
Settled in member
Reactions:
NC24 air filter

Post by NC24Doug » Sun May 13, 2018 9:28 am

hey

Just wanted some opinions, as we all know it is impossible to get an air filter for the NC24, and after some googling, i have found a guide to replace the original paper filter with a DIY foam filter.

can anyone think of a reason why this wouldn't work or any negative impacts?

thanks

Suzuki416
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: 3 x NC35, 3x NC24, NC29, RC46
Re: NC24 air filter

Post by Suzuki416 » Sun May 13, 2018 1:37 pm

you really dont have any other options.

However as somone in the 'same' boat, i'm thinking of cutting out the NC30 / RVF paper from one of those filters & making a template from that using the NC24 surround.

Wolffe
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400 NC21

Post by Wolffe » Sun May 13, 2018 5:21 pm

Is the air filter for the NC24 not the same as the NC21?

NC24Nut
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by NC24Nut » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:50 pm

On this subject, has anyone explored the possibility of fitting an NC30 air filter box on an NC30? It may make it easier to obtain a filter.

Neosophist
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: CBR954

Post by Neosophist » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:01 pm

I gave my nc24 to my brother, I think he cut the middle of the nc30 filter out (leaving a bit of plastic around the paper to keep it in once piece and then glued it into the nc24 filter having cut it the right size to accept the nc30 filter.

for the hassle you could probabably do the same with a washable filter like k and n panel filter and get the carbs setup to suit.
xivlia wrote:i dont go fast on this bike so really do not need a rear brake.. /
vic-vtrvfr wrote:Ask xivlia for help, he's tackled just about every problem u could think of...

NC24Nut
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by NC24Nut » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:51 pm

I'm in the middle of rebuilding a 1987 NC24 at the moment and may have an answer to the air filter problem, although not an easy one.
Using 2.0mm alloy sheet I've cut out the profile of the outside shape of the filter to use as a base plate, in which a square hole is cut to insert an air filter from a Toyota Prius 1.5 (Toyota #17801-21020). Readily available and should be large enough for air flow (we'll see later!).
This filter has a rigid plastic frame with a rubber gasket around the edge and is the largest filter I could find that was flat enough to fit in the air box.
It also sits nicely 'in' the base plate as opposed to on it, so that there is a 6-7mm gap between the intake mesh and the filter and plenty of room above.
I've then cut out a square top clamp from a piece of aluminium which fits over the filter and overhangs about 10mm all round, with 4 'Ears' halfway down each edge to drill for the clamping screws.
To clamp it in place I've used 4 x M4 screws with Clinchnuts inserted in the base plate. Spacers with a 4.0mm hole fit between the top clamp 'Ears' and base plate, so that the screws have something to tighten against.
Because the original filter has a 'Tee' section around the edge to create a seal between the two halves of the airbox, I needed additional sealing around the edge so I glued a 3mm neoprene rod around the sealing edge of the top half of the airbox. This stuff is used to seal glass panes on greenhouses and is readily available.
It seems weird that something as simple as an air filter isn't available for this model, but I suppose NC24's were only build for two years and there can't be very many complete bikes left on the road.
I hope this helps someone.