NC21 Rear Shock Removal/Replacement

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
decngb1
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: NC21 Rear Shock Removal/Replacement

Post by decngb1 » Tue May 01, 2018 2:07 pm

Yeah, it was pretty obvious the point of removing the bolts was to get the dog one off. The only reason I questioned it was that bolt acted like it wasn’t *supposed* to come off. Your instructions, plus seeing the dog bone in my pile of spare parts with no bolt attached removed all questioning my mind. Thanks again!

My son only took it around the neighborhood and didn’t notice any difference yet, but that is normal for smooth 25MPH roads. Hopefully we’ll get the bikes out this weekend for a more spirited test ride. At a minimum, it looks much nicer and probably weighs a couple of pounds less. The fit was perfect.

DereksNC21
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by DereksNC21 » Mon May 07, 2018 2:24 pm

Hi, I'm following your post as I've removed my swingarm from the frame and still have the dogbone connected. Did you use hex sockets to remove the bolts first before drifting the rusted sleeve/bolt out?
Cheers, Derek

decngb1
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by decngb1 » Mon May 07, 2018 3:32 pm

I actually didn’t even remove the sleeve - just the bolts. Now you have me thinking I probably should have removed the sleeve to clean it up, but at least I loaded the bolts up with grease before putting them back in.

DereksNC21
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by DereksNC21 » Thu May 10, 2018 12:35 pm

I wanted to remove as much as possible for Powdercoating but also to replace bearings where i can.
Definitely swing arm and anything around the shock assembly, 31 years old there must be wear and tear!

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk