NC21 Rear Shock Rebuild?

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
decngb
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC21, NC24, NC30, VFR800, MC19
NC21 Rear Shock Rebuild?

Post by decngb » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:03 pm

Has anyone every done a rebuild of the rear shock on an NC21? Are there any easy swap options besides the aftermarket options on eBay that will take 5 weeks to get to me?

I have to look a bit closer, but there appears to be a bunch of fluid dripping out of an overflow. I quickly traced it to the shock, and it look & smells like clean oil.

decngb
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC21, NC24, NC30, VFR800, MC19
Re: NC21 Rear Shock Rebuild?

Post by decngb » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:19 pm

Heh. I forgot to check my spare parts box. Apparently when I bought a rear swingarm on eBay in order to get the rear brake assembly (which was missing from my NC21), it came with a rear shock also. This was clearly someone's project bike that was almost complete when I bought it. It is also apparent that it sat for a while, and now that we are using it all sorts of deteriorated rubber is making itself obvious.

In any case, my spare rear shock is old and rusty looking. I'll install it, but I'm still interested in rebuilding the original. Maybe the spare will last long enough for one of the aftermarket systems to make it here.