Project start up issue help please

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Foxy400
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35 NC29 Bonneville CBR600F4i
Re: Project start up issue help please

Post by Foxy400 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:18 am

Trying to get a clearer picture here. What happens when you press the starter? Anything? What can you hear? In other words, is it trying to start or totally dead?

Romney1
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Romney1 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:30 am

Cranking over and over . The run switch is working if turned to off it produces no spark run possition its sparking .
I can hear it like thumping like it is trying to fire but it simply doesn’t

Neosophist
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: CBR954

Post by Neosophist » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:23 pm

blowlamp and clean the plugs up with a wire brush.

it does soudn like an idle leak or carbs really really out of balance...

you can test for the idle leak by spraying carb cleaner / something flammable aroudn the carb rubbers when you get it running, if it changes the idle then its sucking in air aroud the rubbers.

sometimes the cabrs can have been messed with and out of balnace so bad they cause the bike to run like shit...

you can get a "rough" balance for starting the bike with the drill bit method (google it)
xivlia wrote:i dont go fast on this bike so really do not need a rear brake.. /
vic-vtrvfr wrote:Ask xivlia for help, he's tackled just about every problem u could think of...

Romney1
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Romney1 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:31 pm

After removing the plugs and testing 1 at a time
I can see two are really week on the spark . These where brand new , tried heating up and wire brush no joy, iv taken the carb bank back to the company who cleaned them as i keep finding small beeds from the vapor blasting no matter how much i clean and air blow them even when they have also been ultrasonically cleaned after the vapor blast . Iv ordered all new jets and intake rubbers new plugs and fuel tap as the vacuum side isn’t operating. Also a carb balancing tool so fingerscrossed its going to get it up and running if not it’s getting sold iv had enough of it now . Iv spent far to much money on it just because i like the look of these bikes .

Romney1
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Romney1 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:49 am

Can anyone tell me if the little feeds where the carb diagrams seat should feed to anwhere ? The one where the cutout in the rubber is lined up
Over .
I cant seem to get anything to blow/flow in there seems odd to be there but no flow

Romney1
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Romney1 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:32 pm

Can anyone help me atall replaced everything listed revs came down tried to balance the carbs but cant seem to get them correct and if i blip the throttle the revs again stay high what the hell is going on hours and hours spent and money just getting put into it , can anyone give me anything atal to check the thing ran before i had the bike apart .

Suzuki416
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: 3 x NC35, 3x NC24, NC29, RC46

Post by Suzuki416 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:13 pm

On my CBR400 I had literally the same issue.
Once it started, it ran pretty well - The issue was getting it to start - ARGHH.
The bike hadn't been ridden for a while - but was parked up whilst running perfectly.. - a year ago.
It turned out to be the carbs, which I pulled off in total 4 times. Long story, rust in the tank, ended in the lines & ended in the jets. I had cleaned the tank & didn't realise that the whole system needed cleaning to get all the rust out so I cleaned the carbs again at the weekend & yippee. It stated on the button & drives well. I will check the synch on them too but so far it looks to be running sweet so that can wait until its warmer.

Romney1
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Romney1 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:44 am

Im starting to think having them vapour blasted has damaged something i cant see or blocked a passage as it ran perfect beforehand . Its mad when it starts up and comes off choke you can set the idel to a normal level blip the throttle and it stays at around 3 k . And if left there will slowly drop down after waiting a couple of mins and normally just stumbles and dies . I really have no other ideas what to do .

Does anyone know what passages is used for idle fueling .

Things iv done ,
New inlet rubbers
New jets
Checked mixture screws for seals and adjuated 2x turns
Float hight check
Tried without cables on
Removed and cleaned choke plungers
The diaphragms look good and they drop down nice and quick all equally.
New butterflys inlet all marked 130

Also to start it when not on choke you need to blip throttle

Neosophist
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: CBR954

Post by Neosophist » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:38 pm

you can spend as much as you like on it but unless you fix the issue its not going to cure the problem.

I wouldn't have bought as much stuff as you have done but at least you have it now.

Anyway, again that is classic lean symptom.

Revs hanging before returning to idle.

99% sure its one of the following.

1. Carbs not located in the intake rubbers properly / intake rubbers not located onto engine properly (when revs are hanging spray the rubbers with carb cleaner / something flammable as a quick diagnosis.. it will be sucked in by any leaks and drop the idle)

2. Pilot jets / pilot screws blocked / set wrong. Have you got the pilot screws set properly?

3. Balance screws missing / vaccum line disconnected / other ancillary air-leak.

Persevere, you'll get it fixed, probably doesn't need any more parts just the right thing sorted.
xivlia wrote:i dont go fast on this bike so really do not need a rear brake.. /
vic-vtrvfr wrote:Ask xivlia for help, he's tackled just about every problem u could think of...

LostanFounds
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30'S(89&90)/Triumph955i/RD’s

Post by LostanFounds » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:52 pm

Evening mate.
Sounds like a bit of a nightmare having there.
Any consolation these little V4's can be so temperamental with carbs and cables.
Also check throttle spring & cable for action.
The carb seating is a pain too. You can overtighten the clamps which sometimes draws the carbs out. If concerned about tank vacuum put a straight feed into carbs via pipe & funnel. Don't know how fixed for moving bike around but Pete Alton at OTC dyno in Widnes is your closest pre-injection guru. Great set up and reasonable too for advice and guidance.
Hope you get sorted. ;)
SF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk