Project start up issue help please

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Romney1
Settled in member
Reactions:
Project start up issue help please

Post by Romney1 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:12 pm

Can anyone help today was the first start up
Of my project after completing.
The bike fired into life off the choke then I dropped it off thought great. Then when i reved the bike it seemed slow to increase the revs . The idle on the bike doesnt drop below 3 grand and if reved hand stalls on the come down . Also the revs seem slow to drop any ideas . And at one point when i reved it the revs shot up and i had to kill the bike , The carbs have been vapor blasted and ultrasound cleaned . They are spotless any ideAs cheers

Romney1
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: Project start up issue help please

Post by Romney1 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:37 pm

One thing i did notice was the fuel tap allowed fuel passing it without vaccum is that correct ? when i turned the tap on fuel comes directly out , i heard the carbs fill up and i tested it just blowing also

decngb
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC21, NC24, NC30, VFR800, MC19

Post by decngb » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:32 am

Slow return to idle often means there is an air leak somewhere. Are you using old crusty carb-to-intake rubbers? On the other hand I've brought a couple of bikes back to life with a carb cleaning after carbs were left with old fuel in them, and believed revs were dropping slowly. Both times I buttoned up the bike and took it for a ride. After a bit of use, they seemed fine.

Romney1
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Romney1 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:00 am

Yes the carb rubbers are old they didnt look cracked so i thought they would be ok ill have to get a new set and re try , when i first got the bike i stripped the carbs and tested the running before rebuild and the idle was good and seemed ok on the running side . Would the air leak make the revs hold where they lie and shoot the revs up or is this another fault

Romney1
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Romney1 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:33 pm

Ok been messing all day with no joy i checked the rubbers out and they all seem nice and soft and no splits / cracks . So cleaned everything and refitted .
Still the same issue . So i then swapped the jets and checked all i could on the carbs but now the bike doesnt run . Thought it must be the change of jets returning to the original, build it all back up still no joy bike doesnt even start now 😔. Iv checked its sparking thats ok . Maybe iv just flooded it but i waited a couple of hours but still the same .
Im desperate for help any suggestions

Romney1
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Romney1 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:55 pm

Has anyone got any suggestions atall im
Loosing the will to live i have spent thousands on this thing and i cant even get it to start for the life of me now . Surly the engines not bust . Iv took all the plugs out cleaned them plus there brand new . And there getting fuel i can here it trying to start . What the hell have i done !!!!

Foxy400
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35 NC29 Bonneville CBR600F4i

Post by Foxy400 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:00 pm

Well Romney1, you are having some problems mate! What with the paintwork and now this :( Where are you? Maybe someone lives near enough to give you a hand. Don't give up but leave it a day or two before having another go, rather than get in a tizzy. You'll get it sorted.

Romney1
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Romney1 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:34 pm

Ino tell me about it .the paints all sorted i thought i was on the home run . Now this , i cant see it being anything major i just cant understand whats bloody happend . Iv ordered some genuine inlet rubbers and the fuel tap vaccum unit as thats not operating correctly but i dont think thats my starting issue it just refuses to start. The plugs where new on start up i removed them and cleaned and heated there all sparking strong . I have read that if they flood sometimes they need replacements even if they spark ? Thats a bummer they just set me back £50 ish , i have my old set that the bike was running on so ill try that i need to take a step back or ill smash the thing up . I live just outside warrington in cheshire . The carbs might need balancing but i havnt adjusted anything on that side and on the first start up before the strip the bike idled normal . Plus i dont own carb setting tool or di any of my pals . Literally from 9am till 12 midnight i was in that garage yesterday if anyone can help me id love that

newtothis
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: YZF R125, RVF400, Morini 3 1/2

Post by newtothis » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:47 pm

It might be worth looking at the choke. Mine was always a right pain to start but having just cleaned them it's much better.

Romney1
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Romney1 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:03 pm

The plungers have been removed and cleaned and iv made sure the adjustment isnt holding them open , iv read the rectifier could be a possible issue . When it was running is was at a steady 14. Something volts so im ruling that out . But i cant check that now as isnt bloody starting