Indicator probs & MOT fail

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Foxy400
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35 NC29 Bonneville CBR600F4i
Indicator probs & MOT fail

Post by Foxy400 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:01 pm

The indicators on my NC35 flash faster than they should, but it has always passed it's MOT. Took the bike to the usual place on Friday and the 'new management' told me it would fail if I tried to put it through, but at least they didn't take my £25 first!

I know variations of this question have come up before but please indulge me.

As I understand it the indicators flash faster if there is a lower load on the relay, such as bulbs fitted of too low wattage or of mixed wattage. I checked mine and the front pair are 12V 18/5W (the original double filament I assume. The '3rd' wire has been disconnected so the running lights are no longer working, although the fast-flash problem existed before I did that)) and the rear are 12V 15W.

I read somewhere that bulbs of equal wattage, with 21W being a good choice, would ensure that the indicators flash normally (I'm guessing that I don't need a new relay as the indicators do work). So should I buy 4 x 21W bulbs? I know the rear bayonet-type bulbs come in 21W but do the front flat, blade push-in type come in 21W?

magg
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400
Re: Indicator probs & MOT fail

Post by magg » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:19 pm

Although your lamps are OEM rating for an NC35, NC30 is 21W all round, according to the parts list. You could try 21W in the rear and see the effect, maybe all that is needed.

Neosophist
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: CBR954

Post by Neosophist » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:07 am

i bought a bag of universal chinese electronic relays that flash everything from leds to 50 watt bulbs at the same pace.. might be worth getting one fo these, there only a couple of quid each
xivlia wrote:i dont go fast on this bike so really do not need a rear brake.. /
vic-vtrvfr wrote:Ask xivlia for help, he's tackled just about every problem u could think of...

Foxy400
Reactions:

Post by Foxy400 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:59 pm

I followed magg's suggestion and took my rear bulbs to the local Honda shop, with the simple intention of buying two 21W bulbs. There followed a long discussion with the parts man during which it became clear that he knew bugger all about the NC35 or NC30 (which I think is poor considering this bloke has worked at a main Honda dealership for 100 years :roll: ). After much messing about on his computer he declared that the 21W bulbs from the NC30 (part no.34908-ST3-EOIHE if anyone is interested) would 'probably' fit the NC35. Naturally they weren't in stock but at £1.80 each it was worth ordering them.

There is good news and bad news.

Good news..it works :P All indicators now flash at the required rate, so thanks magg.
Bad news..the bulbs are physically too large to fit inside the indicator casing :x

So now I am on the lookout for 21W bulbs the same size as those in the NC35.

manicguitarist
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: RVF400 (NC35)

Post by manicguitarist » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:59 am

I'd just go to your local Halfords (or even petrol station) and have a look at the 21W indicator bulbs there. The casings on the RVF don't look very small - I'd be surprised if standard ones didn't fit in. Do you have the standard indicators?

Foxy400
Reactions:

Post by Foxy400 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:44 pm

Tried Halfords without luck and my local auto-electrical shop. He even phoned his usual supplier. I've got the original, standard indicators, which I'm guessing are smaller than those on the NC30 (I'm sure someone can verify this). The current rear 12V 15W bulbs are 30mm high (long) and 18mm wide across the glass, the metal bayonet part is approx 17mm across. The NC30 12V 21W bulbs fit and flash fine but are too wide (across the glass) to go through the hole into the lens casing.
I've spent much time googling and the bulbs I need do seem to exist. But they come in amber (I want clear) or are 'currently unavailable'. I've tried emailing those suppliers (no phone no.) but so far no response. Thought this would be straightforward but now getting pissed-off :x

manicguitarist
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by manicguitarist » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:46 pm

Have you got a photo of your rear indicators?

Foxy400
Reactions:

Post by Foxy400 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:15 pm

Being an IT incompetent I have never mastered the photo posting thing. But trust me, they are the original, bog-standard indicators. I've got a box load, all the same (got Stanley 2631 stamped on the orange lens). If you bought this years 400Greybike calendar (which you almost certainly have because yours is Miss July :lol: ) you'll see mine on the November page. The rear indicator is partly obscured by the Tyga can but you can see the front, which is identical. It's got a Tyga bodykit (all original parts safely stored) but the original indicators.
If yours has the indicator bulbs as imported from Japan way back in the 90's you'll see they're 12V 15W and bloody small. If it hasn't I'd be interested to know what they are.

manicguitarist
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by manicguitarist » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:42 pm

I'll go look at mine right now. :)

Foxy400
Reactions:

Post by Foxy400 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:49 pm

That's very decent of you. Check out the calendar on your garage wall while you're there :P