crank shell/big end codes

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
rigsby
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC 30, gsxr slingshot, benelli
crank shell/big end codes

Post by rigsby » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:51 pm

Stripped my failed nc 30 race engine to find big end failure, the crank was damaged beyond use. Luckily i have a spare road engine and all looks good so the crank and rods can be reused.
as the race engine has better bores i want to use the race engine crank cases with the crank shaft from the road engine, obviously i have to replace the main shells and bigend shells. I would like to plastigauge the journals before purchasing shells but i can only do that with the big ends, because i am putting a different crank with different crank cases i cant measure the mains clearance first so i am going to have to rely on code matching from the haynes manual. I have read some posts about incorrect info in either haynes manual or honda service manual and im not sure which to believe, so i am going to need some help on confirming the correct shells. Here are the codes from the crank, crank cases , big end and conrod.

Crank case code from left to right= B B B A

Crank shaft journal code left to right= 2 1 2 1

So according to the haynes the main shells from left to right=Brown Green Brown Yellow

BIG END

All big end journals are coded = A
All conrods are coded = 2

According to haynes i need bigend shells= Green

Could some kind person please confirm these are correct i want to be sure im ordering the correct ones before spending £180 on shells, thats if i can find them!

Thanks

magg
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400
Re: crank shell/big end codes

Post by magg » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:06 am

OEM part list is correct, OEM and haynes service manuals are incorrect, see the link below.

http://retro.400greybike.com/topic.asp? ... C_ID=60762

rigsby
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC 30, gsxr slingshot, benelli
Re: crank shell/big end codes

Post by rigsby » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:38 pm

thanks for info.