NC35 quickshifter

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
jedidude04
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: RVF400
NC35 quickshifter

Post by jedidude04 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:22 am

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has any experience on the ignitech quickshifter? Any increased wear or negative experiences? I do have a quickshifter on another bike, but its a bit more modern and i don't know how the older bikes take it?

Looking at this maybe for track days..

Cheers

magg
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400
Re: NC35 quickshifter

Post by magg » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:40 pm

Why would a quichshifter have an adverse effect on an older bike? Basic operating principal says it should be good for any gearbox subject to clutchless changes. IMHO setup would dictate whether there were any wear/gearbox reliability issues.

jedidude04
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by jedidude04 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:44 am

Sounds good, i just wasn't sure because i have read other forums where people set up the quickshifter and damaged their gears. I guess that comes down to the setup though.

Well, it could be a bit of fun i'll see how it goes in the new year :twisted:

magg
Reactions:

Post by magg » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:54 am

I have also heard rumors about damaged gears but have not seen hard evidence. Logic says a quickshifter would have to be easier on the gearbox than a flat change, which was the go before quickshifters. Maybe people are setting too long a delay time, believing delay time is not important. But too long a delay time could perhaps cause a large impact load that the gear dogs, particularly in the lower gears do not appreciate. I suppose at the end of the day, if your competitors are using them and going faster as a result then you have to use one also and live with the added wear if that is the case.

Cru Jones
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35

Post by Cru Jones » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:42 pm

I had a Battle Factory QS on my old NX4 RS125R and loved it. It was hard going back to a bike w/out one. :(
...2T bikes exist and are ready to meet your 4T challengers. - ToraTora

RickOliver
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by RickOliver » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:41 am

I`ve recently started using the Ignitech Q/S on my NC30 - observations so far -

It does work better if you adjust the cut time down to 60ms from the factory setting of 100ms.

It`s a bit prone to jumping back out of 6th gear unless you a very positive with the 5th/6th change (though to be fair this is a well used `89 engine still with its original gear cluster so wear on the dogs is probably a contributary cause).

Unanticipated downside - when riding on the road, the little bit of flexibility that the pressure switch introduces into the gear linkage rod makes getting the bike into neutral at a standstill a complete pain.

Before I get the bike out for the summer I plan to do a mod to the gear selector drum detent arm similar to the Factory Pro Stage 1 Pro Shift kit ( http://www.factorypro.com/Prod_Pages/prodh42.html ) which should make the gearshift quicker and more positive.

If anyone else wants to try this I have a batch of stronger detent springs already in stock and can modify the arms on an exchange basis or supply the little ball bearings if you want to DIY.

Rick

ricknc30@gmail.com

magg
Reactions:

Post by magg » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:29 am

IMHO I would not expect great improvement from the Pro Stage 1 Shift kit or the Stage 2 for that matter. Stage 2 did not make any noticeable difference to my NC30, but at least I got it for a good price.

RickOliver
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by RickOliver » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:11 pm

I`ll let you know - I have that kit installed on a couple of freshly built engines (one 400, one 750) but I haven`t had time to put either of them into bikes yet...

jedidude04
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by jedidude04 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:40 am

Cheers for the information guys - has been very helpful :).

violetpop
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by violetpop » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:23 pm

Just wired up a Healtech iqse2 and set to 55ms, tested it at the track last week and it was perfect.