reg/rec positioning

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Jac-al
Reactions:
reg/rec positioning

Post by Jac-al » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:14 pm

where would be the best place to put my reg/rec on a custom kit. i put it on the subframe but the bikes been sttutering at high revs when the bikes warmed up. after a ride earlier bike stuttered very bad, when i took the tail off to check, the reg/rec was so hot it burnt my fingers. i dunno where to put it where it can get lots of cool air

iDemonix
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: '92 NC30
Re: reg/rec positioning

Post by iDemonix » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:20 pm

iirc (my bike is miles away) there should be a slight opening for the reg/rec to cool. Ensure that the back of it is touching the subframe properly, it acts like a heatsink and dissipates heat in to the subframe.

Some people have gone as far as to move it in to the storage area under the seat and wire up a fan on to it. You state you have a 'custom kit' (care to elaborate?) though, so it may not be allowing any air flow to get to it. They get pretty hot anyway.

As for the bike stuttering etc, my first thought wouldn't be the reg/rec, have you checked for any fueling issues? Are you carbs nice and balanced?
A roaring V4 is the summer soundtrack.

CMSMJ1
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30-No9

Post by CMSMJ1 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:27 pm

the bike will run find without a reg rec at all..

So it seems the charging might be shit and it cannot provide enough go go juice for the battery..might have been a bad genny that is killing the reg rec and soon will kill your battery!

I am going to move my reg rec to the nose and fit it to an alloy plate bolted to the clocks..I reckon!
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

The V4 is the law..

NC30 - No9 - my old mate

Jac-al
Reactions:

Post by Jac-al » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:23 am

hey, moved it to the back of subframe and attached peice of heat resistant foil. its much better only stuttered a little once but its popping on deceleration and when idling the revs hang for a few seconds when i give it throttle. i have just overhauled the carbs so doubt its that. could it be running rich/lean?

Neosophist
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: CBR954

Post by Neosophist » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:46 am

Jac-al wrote:hey, moved it to the back of subframe and attached peice of heat resistant foil. its much better only stuttered a little once but its popping on deceleration and when idling the revs hang for a few seconds when i give it throttle. i have just overhauled the carbs so doubt its that. could it be running rich/lean?
You have an air-leak on your carbs
xivlia wrote:i dont go fast on this bike so really do not need a rear brake.. /
vic-vtrvfr wrote:Ask xivlia for help, he's tackled just about every problem u could think of...

iDemonix
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: '92 NC30

Post by iDemonix » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:30 am

As above, spray carb cleaner around the carbs, see if the revs change.
A roaring V4 is the summer soundtrack.

Jac-al
Reactions:

Post by Jac-al » Tue May 21, 2013 7:21 pm

Ive eventually got a new rec/reg. Bikes goin well, im just a little paranoid that im gonna burn it out, i paid lots of money for it and its gettin very hot.

COuld i move it to the underside of the subframe, would a little water now and then be bad for it or is that ok?

magg
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400

Post by magg » Wed May 22, 2013 1:05 am

I have had no trouble using the OEM mounting position but I make sure the mounting surface is flat and use thermal transfer compound between the rect/reg metal base and the mounting surface. I also run headlights ON so as to reduce the heat load on the rect/reg.

Jac-al
Reactions:

Post by Jac-al » Wed May 22, 2013 2:15 am

Thats a first im hearing of this but ill try it out, thanks@ magg

magg
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400

Post by magg » Wed May 22, 2013 2:47 am

Check the chassis rect/reg mounting surface around the rect/reg captive mounting nuts. Quite often the area around the catptive nuts is not flat and as a result the rect/reg does not sit flat. This is where the heat transfer compound is useful to complete the thermal path, although you can also try filing the surface around the captive nuts to improve the flatness before using the thermal transfer compound.