Strange findings in RVF carbs

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Yakama
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC23s, 29, 30s, MC16
Re: Strange findings in RVF carbs

Post by Yakama » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:21 am

Drunkn Munky wrote:Im gunna give this kit a go once ive cleaned the carbs up yet i feel the jet maybe a touch on the small side for a full system and looking at the diagrams the jet and needle work together so fitted a larger std jet is not an option.

Going by these instructions would i be right to assume that you leave the STD 0.5mm needle washer in place?
http://www.kenso-bakudan.co.jp/parts/ba ... stall.html

Yes I think you do leave it in place. The translated text says:
Please choose the clip position JN. Please set in the middle if there are no special instructions. If the shim contains Please put as well as STD.

Tim400GB
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 1 x NC30, 2 x NC32.5,

Post by Tim400GB » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:03 pm

Cor! What a weird looking set up.
Would love to see the r&d that went into the design. Can't see the benefit tbh

Neosophist
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: CBR954

Post by Neosophist » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:36 pm

Ah those again.

Yes your supposed to keep the origianl shim washer.

Never heard anyone say they made any better results (compared to a properly set up bike with normal kehin jets)

There old now and if they were something special it would have caught on by now...

If theyve been setup for the bike then it will probably run ok so give it a bash but if your changing systems etc maybe standard jets will be better.. trial and error.

for me i certainly wouldnt pay anymore than what id pay for normal jets. (adjustable needles are nice for a race bike at different altitudes and temperatures but for normal road use my stock needles are ok)
xivlia wrote:i dont go fast on this bike so really do not need a rear brake.. /
vic-vtrvfr wrote:Ask xivlia for help, he's tackled just about every problem u could think of...

Drunkn Munky
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30 MC21 TZR FZR GSXR RG MITO

Post by Drunkn Munky » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:28 pm

Im not expecting it to do wonders especially since i have a full system but will try it with a standard can and see what it rides like. IMO a stock RVF fuels terrible.

It will soon be replaced with my prefered setup for RVF carbs im just curious to try them.

One thing i'll add tho the air screws were massively out, something like 3.5 turns rather than the prefered 1 5/8th's

Drunkn Munky
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Drunkn Munky » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:59 pm

Dragging this one back up as ive now fitted the kit along with a stock system, 1st attempt was needle clip in the middle position with a 0.5mm washer underneath and pilot screws at 1 5/8ths out. The bike bogged massively in the midrange and low down needing more throttle than usual to pull away but top end was sweet. The problems go worse when warmed up.

Next I removed the 0.5mm washer and the midrange improved slightly so its clearly to rich. Then I tried dropping the needle one clip position which until the bike warmed up was almost rideable but now the top end feels like its starving of fuel which is a problem as im stuck with those odd 107 mains. Low down and idle still feels rich as it bogs pulling away which could explain why the pilot screws were at 3.5 turns out when I originally dismantled the carbs.

Next I will try the clip on the final needle position and maybe the 0.5mm washer so the needle only moves .5mm as opposed to a full 1mm clip position which I reckon will be enough to smooth out the midrange, I'll also try the pilot screw at 2.5 turns to see if that improves the low down drive. I have a feeling this will kill the top end power though.

From reading the translated text In the links yakama posted I think the kit is meant to be used with a foam air filter and freer flowing exhaust which should allow for a richer needle setting so the top end fuels right, not sure im willing to mess about like that though and I really cant see how a 107 main jet is going to be enough so for the time being I will say this kit is a bit of a gimmick.

CMSMJ1
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30-No9

Post by CMSMJ1 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:31 pm

They look cool and work shit was my experience with them...
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

The V4 is the law..

NC30 - No9 - my old mate

Cammo
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30

Post by Cammo » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:42 am

CMSMJ1 wrote:They look cool and work shit was my experience with them...
+1
"It's just a ride" Bill Hicks

Drunkn Munky
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Drunkn Munky » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:43 am

Im not so sure, I now have it fueling nicely low down and through the midrange but at the expense of the top end, it just needs larger mains but im not going to shell out ££`s on more jets to find out. They were free and I was curious but the cost is never going to be worth the benefit if any.

CRM
Admin NWAA
Admin NWAA
Reactions:

Post by CRM » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:05 pm

i had some on a RVF, and i struggled with them too. still got them somewhere.
went back to standard needles and sorted the fueling easily.
Insert Signature Here

LVY74PARIS
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by LVY74PARIS » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:53 am

CMSMJ1 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:31 pm
They look cool and work shit was my experience with them...
+ 1