NC30 camshaft timing check

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
krisztian_andre
Reactions:
Bike owned: MG v35 II, NC30, MG NF Mil.
NC30 camshaft timing check

Post by krisztian_andre » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:10 pm

I have a slight suspicion that my front camshafts have been installed 1 tooth off from the correct position. The procedure in the manual is to set the camshaft mark to the mark on the camshaft holder and to set the T2 mark on the crank to the mark on the crankcase cover but the nut appearing in the timing hole does not look to be at the centre of the hole and the alignment of the T2 mark to the cover mark is difficult to judge precisely since it is different depending on the angle you look at it. One tooth difference on the camshaft gear (40 teeth) would mean only 4.5 degrees difference on the crank.
Is there any other way to check if the camshafts are installed in the correct position?

scotjell
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400 NC30x2
Re: NC30 camshaft timing check

Post by scotjell » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:30 pm

If I remember with the rocker covers off you can see the positions of the markers. look to see if the positioning is the same on each after a full cycle if you know what i mean? I think you'd also know if you was out by a tooth as would sound a bit rough. If and when you take the cam gear off just be careful when tightening down do it evenly don't force them down.

krisztian_andre
Reactions:

Post by krisztian_andre » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:22 pm

I'm not sure, what do you mean exactly?

CMSMJ1
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30-No9

Post by CMSMJ1 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:30 pm

what makes you think it is out? does it not run? is it just an angle thing from your view of the timing marks?
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

The V4 is the law..

NC30 - No9 - my old mate

scotjell
Reactions:

Post by scotjell » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:43 pm

sorry about this,

please slap my wrist if I'm out of order.

Also you may think 4-5 degrees isn't a lot but once extended through a length it's quite large. The haynes is good for this can't go wrong. If you want more images please email me.

:whistle:

krisztian_andre
Reactions:

Post by krisztian_andre » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:39 pm

scotjell wrote:sorry about this,

please slap my wrist if I'm out of order.

Also you may think 4-5 degrees isn't a lot but once extended through a length it's quite large. The haynes is good for this can't go wrong. If you want more images please email me.

:whistle:
Ah I think I know what you mean. Comparing the two heads camshaft mark alignments. I'll try that thank you.
Last edited by krisztian_andre on Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

krisztian_andre
Reactions:

Post by krisztian_andre » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:45 pm

CMSMJ1 wrote:what makes you think it is out? does it not run? is it just an angle thing from your view of the timing marks?
Besides the angle thing, it does not run well and the front heads' valve clearances are close to zero for the intake and 0.4mm for the exhaust valves whereas on the rear head they are consistently much closer to tolerance and the timing mark alignments look good.
Last edited by krisztian_andre on Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scotjell
Reactions:

Post by scotjell » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:49 pm

Well if you go through the sequence on one head doing the inlet and exhaust use a marker pen and mark the head. then when you do the other one you'll be able to tell if the angle is the same. If not then the cams could be out. Hope this helps.

lukemillar
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: '89 NC30 Racebike #24

Post by lukemillar » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:52 pm

krisztian_andre wrote:I have a slight suspicion that my front camshafts have been installed 1 tooth off from the correct position. The procedure in the manual is to set the camshaft mark to the mark on the camshaft holder and to set the T2 mark on the crank to the mark on the crankcase cover but the nut appearing in the timing hole does not look to be at the centre of the hole and the alignment of the T2 mark to the cover mark is difficult to judge precisely since it is different depending on the angle you look at it. One tooth difference on the camshaft gear (40 teeth) would mean only 4.5 degrees difference on the crank.
Is there any other way to check if the camshafts are installed in the correct position?
It's actually 9 degrees as the crank will rotate twice for a single cam rotation.

Lane
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: MC21,MC22,NC35's,VJ22

Post by Lane » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:43 pm

The slight difference you may encounter due to parallax error on the timing mark on the crank, is minor compared to if you put the cams in one tooth out, it should be obvious when you have it right.

If in doubt, remove the other cam cover, align it's cams with the marker, then note the cranks alignment marking with the T1, use that evindence to line it up for the front.