Valve Clearance Guide

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
oliherst
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: Valve Clearance Guide

Post by oliherst » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:54 am

maciekmaciek19 wrote:Thanks guys.
Just measured the gaps. All exhaust valves seem to clear ok. 6 inlet are out of limit but the gaps are below the spec - they are too slim - 0.8 -0.10 mm. Does that sound right? I thought the gaps would be getting bigger not smaller...
I've just started doing mine and I'm getting the same thing, can anyone shed some light on this?

NC
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by NC » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:00 pm

what about cylinders 2 and 4 am I missing something here ! :roll:

viper_biker
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400RR, CBR1000RR6

Post by viper_biker » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:16 pm

NC wrote:what about cylinders 2 and 4 am I missing something here ! :roll:
Nope, you're not missing a thing. 2+4 are the same as 1+3. Gap sizes are the same for inlet and outlet. I was going to do a bit of a write-up for 2+4 but there's no need.
Ducati 916, not worth a carrott

V.
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by V. » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:24 pm

oliherst wrote:
maciekmaciek19 wrote:Thanks guys.
Just measured the gaps. All exhaust valves seem to clear ok. 6 inlet are out of limit but the gaps are below the spec - they are too slim - 0.8 -0.10 mm. Does that sound right? I thought the gaps would be getting bigger not smaller...
I've just started doing mine and I'm getting the same thing, can anyone shed some light on this?
Basically what happens is that the valve stems get stretched and the valve seats wear. The stems can stretch due to the high revving demands of a motorcycle engine. Valve seat wear is the norm in all engines, all this results in the valves closing up, hence your tight clearances. What it means if you don't get on top of this is that the valves will not fully open to allow the fuel mixture in and exhaust gasses to exit. Bad news for your engine :cry:

oliherst
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by oliherst » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:03 am

Thanks V, makes sense. Is doing the valve clearances enough? Or is that just a repair rather than prevention?

V.
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by V. » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:17 pm

Doing the clearances is just part of routine maintenance which will prevent more costly operations having to be performed on the engine.

Sligeach
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: '90 NC30 - '12 Stripe R
Inline 4 Valve Clearance template

Post by Sligeach » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:25 pm

in case any of the In Line 4 people are reading this guide i have a shim template. i have set it up for my bike the ZX6, but you can modify the specs to your bikes clearances. PM me if you want it.

joshmolloy
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by joshmolloy » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:09 pm

Sorry to sound daft, but what do you if the tolerances aren't right?

CMSMJ1
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30-No9

Post by CMSMJ1 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:03 pm

You replace the shims required to bring it into the tolerance using the methods displayed by Viper.

It is daunting at first but once you have done it the satisfaction is very great.
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

The V4 is the law..

NC30 - No9 - my old mate

monkeywithaplan
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35 and NC30

Post by monkeywithaplan » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:27 pm

CMSMJ1 wrote:You replace the shims required to bring it into the tolerance using the methods displayed by Viper.

It is daunting at first but once you have done it the satisfaction is very great.

lol, not when you have done it 4 times to two different bikes because the first time one happened to measure between the rocker arm and cam instead of the rocker arm and shim. :shock:

nope!! wasnt me i swear it!! :oops:

:lol:
Insisting on perfect safety is for people who don't have the balls to live in the real world. Mary Shafer, NASA Ames Dryden

Bikes don't leak oil, they mark their territory.