Some carb questions

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
oliherst
Settled in member
Reactions:
Some carb questions

Post by oliherst » Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:43 pm

I have just removed the carbs from my bike as I need to replace the rubbers. Whilst I have them off, what else should I do?

I have little to no knowledge of how carbs work but I have a haynes manual and I like getting hands on.

I would like to check that everything is as it should be with regards to jet sizes and everything else carb related. I have borrowed a friends carbtune and will sync them when I'm done.

Also, should my NC30 have a 'close' cable for the throttle, the haynes manual says it should but mine doesn't. It doesn't even have the facility to take one. Is that something usually seen on an import model?

Sorry for all the noob questions :roll:

Jon
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Re: Some carb questions

Post by Jon » Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:27 pm

Hard to say on the jetting without knowing a bit more about the bikes other mods, exhaust ect.

Take the float bowls off and give them a good clean and check the float heights (make sure that the needles and seats go back in the original carbies.

On the old forum Viper had an article about drilling the airholes in the slides to mae them open a bit quicker and putting an extra washer under the needles to make the mid range a bit richer.

As far as I know all NC30s had twin throttle cables, when you say yours doesn't have provision for them is there not a second secondholewhere the throttle cable hooks onto the carbies and also on the the housing on the twist grip?
A lot of people run without them, I like the ability of beng able to apply closing pressure if something gets a sticky in the return side.

regards
jon
Honda NC30
Ducati 900 S2 (under constrcution)
Moto Guzzi Le Mans III
Honda CB550F2
BMW R90S

oliherst
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by oliherst » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:18 pm

Well the carbs have the ability to take another cable but the clamp on the grip doesn't :cry: I dont understand why someone would go to the effort of taking out the cable but also changing the clamp on the grip :?

In my previous post I meant to say 'how do I check what the current jet sizes are?' (sorry my bad).

I dont know if you can describe it but what are the float bowls? The round bits on the top or the 'L' shaped things underneath?

Jon
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Jon » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:42 pm

Changed camp on the grip is aftermarket, possibly a quick action unit, how far does it turn to ful open?

The jets have numbers stamped on them.

regards
jon
Honda NC30
Ducati 900 S2 (under constrcution)
Moto Guzzi Le Mans III
Honda CB550F2
BMW R90S

oliherst
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by oliherst » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:33 pm

:(

I cant remember how far it turns, but this is what it looks like:

Cammo
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30

Post by Cammo » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:51 am

Check the pilot screw settings while you have the carbs off also, they should 2.25 turns out from closed.

When you put the float bowls back on, use new gaskets or some gasket goo to stop any leaks.
"It's just a ride" Bill Hicks

superlite
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: TLS, LB80 x 2

Post by superlite » Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:20 am

The float is the black plastic thing with the aluminium bracket atached to it in the picture. To check the height, you need to hold the carbs on their side until there's there no load on the float valve, then measure the distance from the top of the big side of the float to the carb body. 7mm if my memory serves me correctly. Probably easier if you have a haynes manual on hand :)

As for the jetting, the jet at the bottom of the pic is the main jet. The one in the middle is the pilot jet. Pull them out and read the nubers on them.

The throttle definitely has a bigger cam than an NC30 one, i.e quick action. Looks similar to my MC18 throttle.
'Take it to the Back'

oliherst
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by oliherst » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:12 pm

So are pilot screw settings and pilot jets the same thing? IE - screw the pilot jet in until it stops then turn it out 2.25 turns?

My jets say 115 and 35 on them......is that normal?

Cammo
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30

Post by Cammo » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:23 pm

Check to see whether the jets are all 115's, I doubt it.

Pilot jets will be #35, the pilot screws are a different part altogether, and are not located under the float bowl that you've taken off.
"It's just a ride" Bill Hicks

oliherst
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by oliherst » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:45 pm

I took another one off and its 118 so I guess I have 2 that are 118 and 2 that are 115, is this a good setup for my bike, as far as I know everything is standard except the can.

Could someone show me a picture of the pilot screw? I'm having difficulty working it out from either the manual or the microfiche.