RVF Float heights

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
fastdruid
Reactions:
RVF Float heights

Post by fastdruid » Sat May 03, 2008 2:28 pm

<back story>I've got a fresher (sub 20k instead of 55k) engine and carbs to go into our NC35, as part of preping the engine/carbs to fit it I opened up the float chambers on the carbs to check for crud in them and check the float heights.
</back story>

Anyway, onto the question, the HBOL gives the float heights as 12.5mm and says to measure them at an angle so the float only *just* touches the needle which is fine and all good except that they were all 12.5mm measured gasket surface horizontal and about 14mm measured at an angle with the float just touching.

Is the HBOL correct or is it living up to its name? Should they be measured at an angle or flat? I set them all to 12.5mm at an angle but it's easy enough before I put them on the bike to change them again.

Druid

monkeywithaplan
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35 and NC30
Re: RVF Float heights

Post by monkeywithaplan » Sat May 03, 2008 9:24 pm

i would have mine at an angle first so the float needle is out and slowly turn it untill the gasket surface is horizontal, measure and adjust to 12.5mm from there. this is how i do mine and my bike runs as well as can be.
Insisting on perfect safety is for people who don't have the balls to live in the real world. Mary Shafer, NASA Ames Dryden

Bikes don't leak oil, they mark their territory.