Throttle sticking

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
DoktorMandrake
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35 & NC30 x3
Throttle sticking

Post by DoktorMandrake » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:20 pm

So my throttle is sticking. Wind the power on, let go and it hangs and doesn't return

So far I have checked the return spring on the carb - nice and healthy and now regreased

Oiled the cables - one is very free moving, the other there is a little more resistance in it.

Checked the routing - seems ok. Not catching or rubbing or kinked.

Had the throttle grip apart. Greased it. Cut back the rubber grip. It still sticks.

Prob seems to be throttle end. If I take the bar end weight off and slide the twist grip off to the side keeping the cables in it then it will work fine and snap back but if I slide it into position on the bar it won't.

Not a major thing, just a bit annoying. Thinking of changing one of the cables. Unless any of you has any other ideas?

banoffee
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Re: Throttle sticking

Post by banoffee » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:39 pm

sounds like the prob is with the grip from what you have said. mine was crap until I spaced the bar end weight out with a washer :grin:
attention 2 detail - bike valeting and more

robbiemturbo
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by robbiemturbo » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:14 pm

Funny you should ask that question as i sorted that exact same problem on my bike last night! I did the same as you greased all linkages and cables, still no joy, but grip flicked back easily when i moved it away from the switches, on closer inspection there was a little corrosion under the grip which i cleaned off with sandpaper, still no joy but better. So i just kept spraying WD40 under the grip and all around the mechanism at the bars while twisting the throttle on and off, and after a while it freed itself off and is now fine! Just be patient and it will work!

VfRTeddy
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: Vfr400 nc24

Post by VfRTeddy » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:51 pm

i had this problem aswel turned out my return cable was rusted about half way down its all sorted ish now cause the cable has snapped an it is snappin back perfectly just need to get a new cable :whistle:
Ben

DoktorMandrake
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by DoktorMandrake » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:23 pm

Ben - Cables seem fine. One moves more freely than the other but reckon it's at the grip end. Bar did seem a little rusted.

Robbie - aye does sound like that could be the prob mate. Exactly like you said when the grip is slid down the bar it works perfectly. Might have to get the WD40 out then and have a squirt and a twist.

banoffee - if the above doesn't work will look at the spacer thing. Thanks for the tip matey!

chrisja2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: nc29 trackbike

Post by chrisja2 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:00 pm

You didnt use wd40 to lube your cables did you? Has been known to react with the sheathing and stick, happened on my choke cable once. I now use Silkopen, which is a graphite based lubricant.

Chris.

DoktorMandrake
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by DoktorMandrake » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:14 pm

Good point. I'd be using the WD40 on the bar end/twist grip assembly only. Would move the cables. Didn't know it reacted but know it cuts through grease and want my cables to remain lubed.