B####cks!

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
blueflag
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
B####cks!

Post by blueflag » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:17 pm

Went out to my new (to me) triarm race bike today to give it the once over before my first tryout at Ty croes at the end of the month.
Topping up the rad I was not a little bit confused when it swallowed about 3 litres of water.
Bottom line, the crank is filled with water.....
Now, I heat the garage over the winter and NORMALLY drain the (plain) water out of the rad. However, not this time :oops:
Will it be the head or barrels that have gone?
Reckon the engine is coming out tomorrow. I need this like a hole in the head (no joke intended) when I'm on nights. :cry:

w00dzy
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Aprilia RSVR Mille
Re: B####cks!

Post by w00dzy » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:22 pm

Doh!

Maybe its the little caps that pop out when it freezes.. think they are in the head.. dont take my work for it though.. give GF a call.. good luck!

blueflag
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by blueflag » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:13 pm

Oh well, it's about as bad as it gets, I can see an external crack where the offside rear stud goes into the crankcase. The engine is on the bench but suddenly I've lost interest and strong lager seems to be the order of the day :(
I'll take off the pots and take a look, possibly I'll be able to ally weld it if it looks like a goer.
Failing that I've a spare engine but it looks slightly different, no oil cooler and a chromey plasticky cover on the right hand side, I'll post the engine number tomorrow in the hope someone knows that it may go straight in. :pray:
Thanks guys.
Mike

speedsiren
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: CBR 400 RR

Post by speedsiren » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:26 pm

why do you use plain water ? (im interested not being pointy fingered) .. anti freeze is a coolant too ie- it boils at a higher temp .. it has a higher co/ef of heat transfer and also plain water will have a bad chemical effect with alloy... - it will rot your head gasket rings and waterways... distilled water is better and distilled with red anti freeze not blue is awesome at keeping heat down... its thinner and moves faster round your block and rad... why neat water ? ... i have a 750 gixer race bike and it gets hot even with that.

justmartyn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Only 2 left.....

Post by justmartyn » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:37 pm

Plain water isnt slippy like coolant if your bike happens to spew over the track.

blueflag
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by blueflag » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:58 pm

Like justmartyn said. It's a racebike (not very fast at the moment!).
It's not allowed as in the event of a spill then it's a hazard to anyone going through your "wet patch" if you fall. :lol:
Mike

GF Racing
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by GF Racing » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:21 am

I have a solution for you - I have a Tri Arm engine that is all good except the crank rumbles - £40 collected.

North Lincs BTW.
Graeme France - GF Racing UK
UK Warehouse 01652 650142
GF Mobile 07778 628448
email: gfracingtw@live.co.uk
http://www.gfracinguk.com

blueflag
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by blueflag » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:48 pm

I Have the number of the spare engine, it's NC23E-1203930. I have a horrible feeling it'll be unsuitable.
Thanks Graeme it's just a bit far (I'm in Cheshire) I'll probably get a spare set of cases and do a full rebuild.
I'll doubtless be in touch for gaskets and more advice!
Mike

blueflag
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by blueflag » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:48 pm

Looks like I might be off the hook :pray:
The damage is in the head to the side of the "tunnel" where the camshaft drive gear runs. I reckon it'll weld up a treat, its nowhere near the face so hopefully it won't distort too much. Thank God my mate is a top welder!

brooky
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: cbr400,vfr400,crf250,ktm200exc

Post by brooky » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:27 pm

i have a spare engine too and am in morecambe, pm if your interested, i want rid of it so its cheap
Vinylmark signs - for all your bike, car, van, vinyl needs, one off tshirts also printed.
http://www.vinylmarksigns.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; email sales@vinylmarksigns.co.uk