Whats wrong with my bike? (Video)

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
tanuki
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: CCM404 SM, CBR4/6 in progress
Re: Whats wrong with my bike? (Video)

Post by tanuki » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:56 pm

randallbass wrote:check your tank breather mate,
after it stalls open the tank lid and see if it sucks in air
:)
cheers Tim
the bike wouldnt start again so quickly if this was the problem.

randallbass
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by randallbass » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:01 pm

but would explian why it cuts out so soon after starting again a guy at the track the other day had the same problem and that was the solution thats y i said it, cant hurt in trying its not like its the hardest thing to do :roll:

oliherst
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by oliherst » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:50 pm

The saga continues.....After reading the responses the quickest and easiest thing to check was the idle, so I just turned it a notch pushing the idle upto about 1600 (it was already on 1400). However, now it doesn't settle back to idle every time. Sometimes it's fine, other times it hangs around the 2100 rpm mark :(

A friend of mine has a tool for measuring the exact RPM in case the dial isn't accurate, so we will give that a try as well.

He also suggested that as the bike runs so hot it maybe running lean. Apparently a bike running lean runs hotter?

This friend of mine is damn good with bikes so I respect what he has to say, he also suggested that it could be a jetting problem. Jetting is something I don't understand so I'm off to see what google has to say about it. There is certainly no evidence that the bike has ever had dyno time and the can isn't standard so I expect jetting could be a possibility (I think someone else here suggested that too).

Finally, the same guy thinks (at a long shot) it could be a fuel starvation problem due to the way the bike cuts out. I didn't really understand the mechanics of what he was saying but the long and short of it, is check the fuel filter isn't clogged up.

Those of you who are more experienced that I (most of you :P) think that any of this is possible?

Thanks guys!

Cammo
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30

Post by Cammo » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:02 pm

oliherst wrote: However, now it doesn't settle back to idle every time. Sometimes it's fine, other times it hangs around the 2100 rpm mark

This friend of mine is damn good with bikes so I respect what he has to say, he also suggested that it could be a jetting problem.

Finally, the same guy thinks (at a long shot) it could be a fuel starvation problem
Turning up the idle is just trying to cover up the problem, it won't solve it.

I would firstly suggest taking the carbs off and making sure all settings are correct, especially pilot screws (should be 2.25 turns out), and give them a quick balance/synch. Incorrect jetting won't be responsible for your problem, but you might as well install some new jets (they're not expensive) to suit your pipe while you have the carbs off.

Fuel starvation is likely, and it can come down to a few things such as fuel or vacuum lines, and the fuel tap. Go over them thoroughly, eliminating each possible cause after you know that the carbs are sorted.

Without knowing that you have the basics correct, you'll be forever trying to eliminate the problem.

If you're not confident in doing the carbs yourself, ask for some help, someone on here may be willing to lend a hand.
"It's just a ride" Bill Hicks