Improving the Mid Range on a CBR400 - any tips chaps! 8)

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
marty400
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Improving the Mid Range on a CBR400 - any tips chaps! 8)

Post by marty400 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:15 pm

hiya All,

RE:Improving the Mid Range on a CBR400 (NC29) - any tips chaps!

Not interested in top speed. But would like some more mid range grunt, easier overtaking, belting out of corners. Don't want to make my litte 400 a peaky so-and-so, un-ridable on the UK roads, just for the sake of chasing BHP etc...

Any tips guys?

Will changing the sprockets work on a cbr400 NC29, or will it play havoc with a mislieading Speedometer, and Mileometer?
Can someone confirm? (I'm getting some yes's and No's from another Non-bike specific forum!)

Slip on cans by themselves worthwhile?
Will dynojetting cause the bike to be more peaky?
(Any particualr cans work well with a CBR400??

Can I realistically get much more out of the 400cc, then the OE setup? (Not worth spending a fortune on meadocre improvements)

Hope you can advise!
Martin

LozVTR
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: Improving the Mid Range on a CBR400 - any tips chaps! 8)

Post by LozVTR » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:33 pm

Changing the sprocket would be the cheaper + more effective option in my opinion.

Remind me - does the speedo run off the front wheel or the front sprocket nut on the NC29?

A bigger rear sprocket will cost you £25-£30 where as an exhaust will cost you alot more than that.

It depends what you want in the end. a quick fix or something that sounds good too.

Im picking up and NC23 on Sunday and im planning to do the following:
new chain and various size sprockets (taking it on trackdays so want some options)
Full exhaust system
Larger jets in the carbs
high performance filter

luckily ive got a couple of mates who have a dyno so im going to see if I can blag abit of dyno time too.

marty400
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by marty400 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:59 pm

Good luck with the bike on Sunday! hope she is a Blinder!

"Remind me - does the speedo run off the front wheel or the front sprocket nut on the NC29?"
*** no idea - I kinda was hoping someone could answer on this forum!

Where can I get a 14 teeth Sprocket for a NC29?
How much about?

Do I need match chain to sproket, or are the teeth on different makes of uniform dimensions?

Hope you can advise!
Martin

binge
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by binge » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:28 pm

NC29 speedo runs off the front sprocket nut so playing with sprockets will mess up the speedo. Which is un-accurate anyway so I wouldnt worry too much. :P

My bike has a 525 Heavy Duty chain.
And I am running the matching 525 Sprockets.

Some bikes run 520 chain/sprockets, And some bikes run 530 chain/sprockets.
Its just the size of the chain, it will probably be stamped one very other chain link anyway.

An end can wont do a great deal to the running of the bike, My NC30 wouldnt wheelie too great with the stock system, when I put a straight through end can on it, It was easier to wheelie, but that was about it.

Is your NC29 restricted?

Ben

marty400
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by marty400 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:44 pm

binge wrote:
Is your NC29 restricted?

Ben

Hiya Ben,

Um... how do I tell? Is there any way - besides going illegal speeds? (I think we hit 110mph on the Motorway, when we were trying her out!)

Cheers
Martin

PS:
Are there any other small mods I can do to improve mid range??

leopard_pagan
Reactions:
Bike owned: CBR400/600 Fighter

Post by leopard_pagan » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:28 pm

on a quiet PRIVATE road, see if the NC29 will pass 112mph.
if it does= speed restrictor has already been by-passed.
if it gets to 112mph then feels like it cannea go ana fasta captn....... its still speed restricted.

tanuki
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: CCM404 SM, CBR4/6 in progress

Post by tanuki » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:42 pm

I am afraid its an in line 4 engine and they make most of their power high up in the rev range, messing around with sprockets wont improve the mid range power and by going for a larger sprocket on the back and or a smaller on the front will only make the bike accelerate faster but will make the bike more peaky up top.

you can get a decent can and spend a bit of cash getting it set up properly on a dyno which will gain you more power through the range but thats about all.

Your other choice is...well a V4 LOL IMHO the perfect road engine where as I love my CBR for the track.

Mikiboy
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: RVF400 NC23 x 2 NC29 CBR4/600

Post by Mikiboy » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:03 pm

It wont improve the midrange but you effectively slightly shorten each gear giving the impression it has as it will rev through quicker.
Graheme france for sprocket.
Dont bother with the rear as you may have to add another link to the chain

little nick
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by little nick » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:11 am

Definately go down to a 14 tooth front sprocket - it'll make it much more useable in the 'mid range'

Otherwise - it's dyno time. Any decent dyno operator will be able to smooth out & improve the power delivery.

To support dyno time - it's all down to money - how much do you want to spend? All the bolt on bits cost - but they all benefit from correct set up on the dyno.

Pick a maximum cost - budget for the dyno time, spend the rest on free flowing bits!

marty400
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by marty400 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:30 am

little nick wrote:Definately go down to a 14 tooth front sprocket - it'll make it much more useable in the 'mid range'

Otherwise - it's dyno time. Any decent dyno operator will be able to smooth out & improve the power delivery.

To support dyno time - it's all down to money - how much do you want to spend? All the bolt on bits cost - but they all benefit from correct set up on the dyno.

Pick a maximum cost - budget for the dyno time, spend the rest on free flowing bits!

Cheers Nick!

Martin :D