RVF Newbie Fairings

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
quicksilver
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Re: RVF Newbie Fairings

Post by quicksilver » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:48 am

Very nice actually – I’m pleasantly surprised. Pictures can always look a little better than close-up on the real thing, but all-in-all, not bad.

I’d be interested in some close-ups of the fixing areas, and one or two more details of the workarounds, but based on the initial piccies – I’d be very happy to get a set for a track-day.

Do they come in the same number of pieces as standard, and which bits were the toughest to fit?

Vffr1
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Vffr1 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:58 pm

They fairings come in the standard number of parts except the rear was one just one part and not 3 pieces.

The work arounds were as follow:

1. Bolt holes such as where the rear tail piece bolts to the side (1 on each side under the seat) where about 3mm off, so I had to drill bigger holes, I wish they did not drill these hole and I could of drilled them myself. I had to also cut down and narrow the dows that matted the back section to just under the tank, they were too long and too wide, with Dremel tool, I chopped off about 15mm and the sliced along the top which made them thinner as well, first time created the perfect fit. There are a few places where you are required to drill holes yourself, which I prefer because this way I can ensure the holes are straight. The hole to access the seat key lock is off my about 3mm, when I have time I will center that hole by making it bigger, this is another hole I wish they did not cut for me.

2. Where the lower fairings meets under the exhaust, part of the fairings were very close to the down pipes and would of starting smoking, I elected to just cut out a large part of the under fairing, eliminating 1 of the 4 bolt holes, it ended up looking like a rectangle underneath, which was how my older F2 was cut out as I recalled.

3. The center V fairing (located in front of the down pipes) did not mate up correctly as well with their holes, the work around was to use tapping screws and and not try to use the stock holes they made, it would of never worked.

I'm still very impressed with the Hong Kong fairings, and can't wait until I have the money to buy another set. I consider my self to be very picky, the quality and paint were top notch, as was the heating shielding as well, the graphics line up 100% as well. The only problem I has was mis matched holes, if they drill less holes that would be better. The hole in the center of the front fairing was correct, thank God.

Most of the work arounds just took some creativity, but having a drummel tool made life easier. If I have time, I'll post photos.

Hope this helps,

Michael

VFR..Al
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by VFR..Al » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:05 am

Well i reckon they look fantastic....certainly better than the scruffy bits on mine(i think mine are actually not original anyhow)...so i may well get some when i have some spare cash.

Al

samace
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by samace » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:02 pm

I had a set for my NC30 they were crap fitting poor paintwork. Please do not buy them !!!

:poke:

Yack
Thieving Pikey Twat
Thieving Pikey Twat
Reactions:

Post by Yack » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:21 am

Vffr1 wrote:They fairings come in the standard number of parts except the rear was one just one part and not 3 pieces.
Michael
What ebayer did you buy it from, ID?

Kent_rider_nc35
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Kent_rider_nc35 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:04 pm

hi, bit of a strange place for my first post but im quickly becoming annoyed with the completely mixed opinions on the chinese aftermarket fairing kits!

ive had a spill on my mint rvf (not mint anymore) and im after some new fairings for road use and maybe the occasional track day.

im not a newbie to interent forums so i know how frustrating it is to have newcomers askings repetative questions all the time.

but could somebody please answer me this "will a set of £300ish replica chinese fairings sort me out for now?" i dont care if they will crack after a spill as im a perfectionist and id probably use the opertunity to change colour scheme.

thanks alot guys, will await replies :)

Neosophist
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: CBR954

Post by Neosophist » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:35 pm

Kent_rider_nc35 wrote:hi, bit of a strange place for my first post but im quickly becoming annoyed with the completely mixed opinions on the chinese aftermarket fairing kits!

ive had a spill on my mint rvf (not mint anymore) and im after some new fairings for road use and maybe the occasional track day.

im not a newbie to interent forums so i know how frustrating it is to have newcomers askings repetative questions all the time.

but could somebody please answer me this "will a set of £300ish replica chinese fairings sort me out for now?" i dont care if they will crack after a spill as im a perfectionist and id probably use the opertunity to change colour scheme.

thanks alot guys, will await replies :)
That depends on what you mean by sort me out?

There thinner than the original fairings and the quality of the paintwork varies, some people have ordered them and had a slight orangepeel effect that needed to be flattened off.

Most of the copies need the mounting holes drilling into them when you have the fairing on the bike to line it up. There not bad for £300.00

How many panels have you broken? Have you considered david silver spares? they have a few nos oem panesl in stock.
xivlia wrote:i dont go fast on this bike so really do not need a rear brake.. /
vic-vtrvfr wrote:Ask xivlia for help, he's tackled just about every problem u could think of...

jowyvfr
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Aprilia rs125, nc30,..Van Van!

Post by jowyvfr » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:43 pm

If your a perfectionist why not buy some OEM fairings that you know will fit!? even if the china ones are good, they're not gona be perfect are they. it all seems like a bit of a gamble tbh, from the numerous same threads that pop up about these fairings they seem to range from good (and thats people that have spent they're money on them and really want them to be good) to so shocking that people have either just thrown them away or made do until they can afford something better. if your going to be buying them as a stop gap, by some good fiber glass ones or a miss matched set of ebay and spray them one colour. that way if you can afford something better then you can always sell those for a good price rather than having to flog of some chinese ones for next to nothing or keep them as track fairings! personally I would feel like I was wearing nock of designer label that i'd bought at a market on holiday, not really what you want to feel, whilst trying to look cool on your bike :ninja: . Vffr1s fairings look good, but he's had some niggles, and isn't the number board on the RVF supposed to be matt? its small things I guess, but if your a perfectionist the devils in the detail. each to they're own though, just look at my bike :whistle:

Drunkn Munky
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30 MC21 TZR FZR GSXR RG MITO

Post by Drunkn Munky » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:07 pm

jowyvfr wrote:isn't the number board on the RVF supposed to be matt? its small things I guess, but if your a perfectionist the devils in the detail. each to they're own though, just look at my bike :whistle:
Yeah the standard numberboard on a nc35 is matt black, although im pretty sure all RC45's are shinny, the race liverys are definatly all shinny. I prefer the shinny look unless its a spot on factory stock looking 35,

Neosophist
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: CBR954

Post by Neosophist » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:10 pm

as i said, check with david silvers :) and get a price, especially if its only a couple of panels
xivlia wrote:i dont go fast on this bike so really do not need a rear brake.. /
vic-vtrvfr wrote:Ask xivlia for help, he's tackled just about every problem u could think of...