Type 1 fairing colour

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Foxy400
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35 NC29 Bonneville CBR600F4i
Type 1 fairing colour

Post by Foxy400 » Fri May 17, 2019 3:02 pm

We know, or can easily find out, the colours used for the various Types of NC29 but what about inside the panels? My bike has had a respray at some point and it's a not a bad job but there's some overspray on the inside of the top section headlight panel. I think it's primer, which has given it an uneven light grey appearance and isn't the most attractive view when I'm on the bike. Never having seen another NC29 on the road, let alone a Type 1 like mine, I have no idea what the original inside colour is. I had an idea to rattle can it the same as most of the main colour of the bike, Honda Fighting Red R-134, but as there is no trace of red perhaps it was black. Can anyone enlighten me please?

Second question. Whatever it turns out to be I need advice on how to go about painting it with an aerosol can. As it's inside the panel it doesn't have to be perfect. I realise I'll have to mask off the outside and edges. Do I simply clean the panel (with what?) and spray away or will it need primer?

cbr400rrn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 CBR600F
Re: Type 1 fairing colour

Post by cbr400rrn » Fri May 17, 2019 11:21 pm

No idea what colour they are inside a type 1 but mine is a type 5 and I know the type 7 is also the same colour inside the fairing as the main outside body of the fairing as the rest is made of decals.
Definitely use a plastic primer first before using any paint on the inside. Better doing it right the first time than watching the paint peel off or crack later.

Foxy400
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35 NC29 Bonneville CBR600F4i
Re: Type 1 fairing colour

Post by Foxy400 » Mon May 20, 2019 10:05 am

So if my Type 1 follows the same pattern as the 5 & 7 it should be Honda Fighting Red inside the fairing (my NC35 is similarly red both inside and out). Strange that there's no trace of red (and it is the original panel, not a copy). Thanks for the advice on painting. Some manufacturers say 'No primer necessary but use a clear coat', others say 'A primer must be used but no clear coat needed'. Think I'll go with the latter.