getting a good fit on chinese fairings

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Travis
Settled in member
Reactions:
getting a good fit on chinese fairings

Post by Travis » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:27 am

Hello,

Quick tip, besides the expected dremelling and tweaking required to get a compression mouled Chinese fairing to fit. There is always that gap between the nose cone and the upper side fairings. Some are worse than others, and this always seem to ruin the overall look of the bike.

(p.s I found the injection molded fairings, more expensive, however the fit is better than the compression)

See below, the gap I am speaking of:

I bought a set of those nifty quick release straps that the car chaps use to add flair to their rides and applied it to my problem:

These little strap kits come in a variety of colors to best match whatever scheme you have.

Hope that helps someone.

Thanks,
Travis.

Jonnyvfr400
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: getting a good fit on chinese fairings

Post by Jonnyvfr400 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:18 pm

Surely just bending the side fairing bracket forward a little would solve the problem?

Travis
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Travis » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:02 am

Jonnyvfr400 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:18 pm
Surely just bending the side fairing bracket forward a little would solve the problem?
tired that, the problem is not forward movement, but rather a ill fitting mould.

batchelor
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by batchelor » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:48 pm

Would it look better if fitted on the inside. Thinking of doing the same.

Travis
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Travis » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:40 am

batchelor wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:48 pm
Would it look better if fitted on the inside. Thinking of doing the same.
Depends on the type of fastener you use on the outside I suppose, if you can get a nice stainless steel allen key type bolt, that sits a bit flush, perhaps it could.

I actually like the little round things and the strap, looks neat to me. but yeah, thats a good idea and would achieve the same thing, yet be less obtrusive.

ArizonaRVF
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: 1994 RVF400R

Post by ArizonaRVF » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:38 pm

The color scheme looks the business, it's unfortunate they don't mount up as well as they look.

Travis
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Travis » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:38 am

yeah, its a pity, but these are the only ones I can find locally. I imported the kit for my RVF which is better quality (rothmans style). This one seems to mimic the new CBR1000RR colors, i like the fact is not so busy and has alot of clean white. I also do my best to not notice it says RVF instead of VFR ha ha, the chinese can be funny