Frame paint advise required

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
alexko
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: Yam R1 2cr, Suz Rgv250, RVF
Frame paint advise required

Post by alexko » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:21 pm

Hi,
Just purchased a RVF400.
The bike has been in storage for 4 years :-( due to above there is some mild pitting in the extruded section(below the tank)
I am planning to respray this section,previously masking up at the welds.
Hopefully the "purists" won't read the post :grin:
Has anyone managed to get some aluminium color that is similar to anodized finish?
I was looking at Estwood cast aluminium.
Other option white aluminum RAL9006.
Also there are some seller on ebay selling "motorcycle frame paint".
Should I take it to some automotive paint mixing shop?
or should I just remove the anodized layer(pain in the ars@) than brush effect with fine butterscotch finished with clear 2k or acrylic lacquer on top?
I seen some airplane model aluminium paint that again is similar to the anodized finish, but not sure how durable is this.

Your opinions past experiences are much appreciated.
Alex

alexko
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: Frame paint advise required

Post by alexko » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:41 am

Anyone?

Dynamohum
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Dynamohum » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:55 pm

Would avoid painting if possible a painted or powder coated frame might devalue the bike should you decide to sell at a later date painted finish might give impression its been done to mask some repair of more serious damage .
I believe its anodised Is it that bad that you cannot just live with it as is and treat it as the patina of an old bike or as you considered the scotchbrite polished finish As a last resort which again might devalue for some. Other than getting frame re anodised if that's possible at all and at what cost.. ?

alexko
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by alexko » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:13 am

Dave,
Thanks for your time.
From what I know the frame cannot be re-anodized. Well it can be but will end up in more different colors at welding and cast section.
The pitting is not that bad,5-6 small spots, treated with ACF50.
I tried to rub with scotchbrite,on less visible spots but it will get shiny where pitted. (I assume because the anodized is remove din that spot)
I bought some VHT anodized aluminium base paint. Aparently this one with 2k clear lacquer on top gives the original look.
Will try this out on some less visible spots and see how it comes up.

The bike had only 1 owner since imported in UK (1997) being brought as a retirement present, the guy sold the bike to me as he is 83 years old now and cannot ride anymore.
Apart from the pitted frame and some rusted bolts is very good condition everything original.

Dynamohum
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Dynamohum » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:05 pm

Was wondering how the anodising process would work with the cast sections that paint sounds like a solution .

alexko
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by alexko » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:48 pm

http://www.vhtpaint.com/high-heat/vht-a ... color-coat

They advised to use the base silver SP453 with clear lacquer on top.
I might use acrylic lacquer instead of 2k.
Either way will try on a not very visible section and if not happy I will leave as it is now.
Very busy now and also should be at least 16 degrees Celsius..so will have to wait until April/May.

2manyprjx
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: RZ350&500,NS400R,NC30,916

Post by 2manyprjx » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:32 am

I had a similar situation. A po had painted the main spars of my NC30 frame silver. I knew that was to cover something up. I stripped the paint off and there was some minor pitting on the right spar. I stripped off the anodizing with oven cleaner. Apply that with a brush to have control where it goes. Sand the pits with fine wet sandpaper. Then use Scotchbrite pads with water to duplicate the factory brushed finish. Follow that up with some Flitz or Semichrome polish rubbed in the direction of the brushed finish. I'm anal and extremely picky about the bikes in my collection and it would take an expert to tell my frame isn't original. Here in the USA, a company called Duplicolor makes all kinds of aerosol auto type paints. Their silver lacquer is spot on perfect to duplicate the anodized finish on the rough cast parts of Honda's aluminum frames. It's not one of their touch up colors, just general purpose.

tillett22
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30

Post by tillett22 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:46 am

2manyprjx

Do you have any pictures of your final result.

2manyprjx
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by 2manyprjx » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:26 am

I will try to post up some pictures this weekend.

2manyprjx
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by 2manyprjx » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:10 am

I spent about 400 hours this past winter on a complete tear down and rebuild to get the bike up to my standards. Here's what the frame looks like after doing what I described earlier. I had to drill out the rivnuts and then replace them after restoring the frame.