Tyga fairing

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Spacey
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: RVF400
Re: Tyga fairing

Post by Spacey » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:27 pm

Apologies, not going to type a lot. If anyone has questions please ask? Will gladly elaborate as time allows. Kit was not as easy as I hoped to fit but it is worth mentioning that my particular bike has had a tough life, lotsa crashes before she came home to me so it can be argued that brackets etc might well not be exactly where they should be. Tail piece wasn't a biggy but with all our painting I had to enlarge the holes for the tail light slightly, this was a headache. I just don't know how Tyga intended to fit the little prongs that clips into the tank. They build a giant standoff here with thread in it? I had to dremel this down into a reasonable sized peg so it would clip into the tank. Unfortunately my dremel kicked my ass during this and I chipped my paint job here, self inflicted pain..the best. :roll:

Bottom fairing was a reasonable fit, I had to bend the little brackets that hold the back of the fairing to the frame slightly, suspect mine wasn't good to begin with anyways. Top fairing got interesting, this one was a definite stretch to get on. I had to bend the little top bracket that holds the mirrors a lot, again stressing I don't know if mine was good to begin with. My old body kit was in some strange shapes. Tank cover was interesting, I tried to clingwrap the tank but no luck getting the cover on then, it's a hell of a tight fit and the last bit it needs to clip over so needs to slip as much as possible. The little front tank cover was a different animal, this one was a nightmare for me to get the little tabs on the bottom to clip in.

Air ducts fit decent but I'm not happy yet with how they mate to the tank, still working on getting this better. Everything else went well. Of course with my luck I managed to fairing fit my bike into a electrical problem so now it's dead. Still working on that little bugger up. :oops: :grin: :grin:

I will need to wash the bike up when I'm done to get some proper pictures, oh and still working on the touchup needed on the tailpiece. Will get good clean pictures up soonest! Don't know how I'm gonna get myself to ride this thing now.

Indicator cutouts. Not fun but not a big deal. Hehe

Spacey
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Spacey » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:33 pm

Foxy400
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35 NC29 Bonneville CBR600F4i

Post by Foxy400 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:30 am

Interesting to hear that you also had some issues with fitting, so maybe I'm not as incompetent as I thought :grin: That top section is a bugger to get on!

I'd think carefully about the lack of heat resistant material. These engines can get hot and my Tyga fairing is a very close fit. If you look inside the original panels you'll see they've got quite a large area covered, more than just the belly section. But that'll mean taking it off again and I bet you're in no hurry to do that!

Your carbon air ducts aren't a good fit against the tank because you're missing the narrow rubber strip that sits around the bottom of the duct. They're on the originals and are essential if you want it to look right.

Now get those wheels cleaned ;)

Spacey
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Spacey » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:00 pm

I'm definitely concerned about the heat. Would love to hear some more thoughts on the problem from folks? My mate reckons it's only cause for concern in places where the exhaust, which will get hot (dunno round 300'c?), are closer than 10mm to the fairings. This happens a lot on the NSR's and RGV's for instance, on bikes he showed me. On the RVF Tyga made a huge hole in belly now which eradicates this problem entirely. Which we can possibly argue is why they don't include any heat shielding in the kit. I'm no expert but the motor itself should not get hotter than 100'C ever unless it's cooking, at those temps even direct contact with the fairing shouldn't affect the glass? Like I say though, I would like to hear some more comments? I can fit my hand with room to spare everywhere around the exhaust pipes between the fairing, should be enough space for the fairing to not get blasted with unwanted heat.

I managed to get hold of some u shaped rubber today for the airducts, gonna give that a go but suspect the rubber I got is too thick. Going to make it too much of a tight fit. Will let you know about that. :pray:

My electrical problem seems to be somewhere under the airfilter duct by the main bunch of plugs. Lights are back on but still fighting to find the problem exactly. Will get around to the wheels as soon as I figure this out. :lol:

Spacey
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Spacey » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:01 pm

Oof sorry I lost my original post, computer glitch. Had to re-type and forgot to ad. Only reason I'm still talking about the exhaust and heat thing and not just lining the entire fairing with shielding is cause it looks like I will need to import if I want more shielding. South Africa not good with this sort of thing. :x

Foxy400
Reactions:

Post by Foxy400 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:51 am

I got my heat reflecting stuff straight off ebay, no probs. Cut it to shape and peel off the backing. Wasn't too expensive either. Can't remember the site but it'll be easy to find. I'll have a look.

..ok, had a look. Found it under 'self adhesive reflective heat shield' (specifically for bike fairings among other things). Company are called hotdeals2008 based in Israel, although I expect there will be others. It's 40 x 33cm (4mm thick) and costs under £18 in the UK. I bought 2 pieces.

Also checked out the air duct rubber strip (aren't I good to you ;) ). Original Honda part no. 64121 MR8900. Available from cmsnl.com at 5 euros each. There you go.

Spacey
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Spacey » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:38 pm

Excellent thanks man! Will check out the shielding. I got one piece close to that size so one should do the trick. I gave the bike a run last night, everything is looking good. I don't get as much heat on the fairings from the exhausts, my infra red temp gun needs a set of batteries then I will measure it properly but the areas around the exhausts stay moderate. Good amount of heat coming from the motor to the little duct pieces on the sides, fairing gets close to the motor there. Feels hot but would be interesting to see actual Temps. Only real problem I have is I still get front wheel rub on the fairing piece below the radiator if I'm a little heavy on the brakes. What profile wheel you guys using? I got a 120/70 on now, can't figure it out.

The rubber I got works champion, thanks. Finished off the ducts perfectly.

Foxy400
Reactions:

Post by Foxy400 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:09 pm

Looks much better. I've got the recommended front tyre, size 120/60, and have no problem with it touching the fairing.

Spacey
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Spacey » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:23 pm

Hi guys,

Foxy: Thanks for the info, it's definitely on the short list of things needed then. I am going to have to invest in a 60 profile tyre. I can repair the rub when it gets bad but it's annoying to have to take it easy on the brakes the hole time to try and save it from rubbing.

Finally got around to taking some better pictures:

newtothis
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: YZF R125, RVF400, Morini 3 1/2

Post by newtothis » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:33 pm

I'm running a 120/70 and have had no rubbing issues. I've done a couple of trackdays and hard enough braking to squeal the front tyre. A tie wrap around the fork to show travel might be useful to see if you're close to bottoming out the suspension