Keyless Ignition

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
vfrman
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30, 1098s
Keyless Ignition

Post by vfrman » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:34 am

OK, well technically this could go into the workshop section, but I am asking a styling question, so it is here.

Anyways, I am sick of looking at the stock ignition barrel zip tied to my instrument support. I am thinking of going to a keyless ignition where I have a keyfob and push button ignition. Has anyone seen any really trick setups like this?

Here is what my current setup looks like. I have tons of room to the left of my tach to mount something...I was going to put a rear view camera in once upon a time.

DocV400
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 1200 Bandit ~ NC30 ~ Italjet
Keyless Ignition

Post by DocV400 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:57 pm

If you have a key-fob activated system, then you wouldn't need a push-button for anything (other than the starter of course).
Plenty of 'Remote Starter' kits on the market too, then you wouldn't even need to press the start button. ;)
Space (or lack of it) may be an issue though.
http://www.familyhandyman.com/automotiv ... r/view-all

You could use a simple generic 'key-fob' remote and receiver, wiring the ignition circuit through a 'latching' or 'switch-over' relay, one where there's no chance of it switching off while you're riding.
Single channel for just switching on the ignition circuit . . .
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/quasar-single ... -kit-l26bk
Wouldn't need a relay with that type.

Or multi-channel to add other functions, e.g. switching on lights as you approach at night, arming/disarming alarm, honking horn at someone while it's parked and you're sitting nearby :whistle:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/quasar-four-c ... -kit-a56jn

As with anything electronic, it would be best to have a manual 'back-up' switch hidden away somewhere in case the key-fob or receiver failed.
A Pessimist is just an Optimist, with experience.
Doc out . . .

Maelstrom
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: MC22, 3TJ1
Re: Keyless Ignition

Post by Maelstrom » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:26 pm

The motogadget RFID is my choice.
Carb seal kits in viton & other parts
https://litetek.co

vfrman
Reactions:

Post by vfrman » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:04 pm

Those are some pretty good leads. I think I will rewire my cutoff switch to kill all power to the bike (like the ignition does now) and wire in the RFID ignition lock as a security measure. That way all I have to do is walk up to the bike, flick the cutoff switch, and start the bike.

Cheers!

NGneer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: x3 NC30,Matchless G80s AJS16ms

Post by NGneer » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:01 am

Steve

Waaaaaaay back (old forum days) when I was still getting used to my first NC30 there was a surge of people fitting an alarm system to their bikes called a Cyclone C11 alarm system...like this (http://www.motorbikealarm.co.uk/shop/nc ... er-system/) I guess their must have been a special deal on or something at the time, anyway I got one and fitted it to my bike.

Well my original bike still has this fitted and it still (up to going into storage) working fine. Why am I talking about an alarm system....well one of the features of this particular one was "Remote keyless engine starting", and I can confirm this does work. It works very well if you have been for a run somewhere and then parked up, so the engine is warm and you can just "blip" it to start as you are putting you jacket/helmet back on. However, if you are starting from cold (unless you remembered to pre set the choke the night before) you still need to walk up to the bike to set your choke then stand right next to it as you....eeeerm remotely start it. You can look a bit of an arse to be honest.

If I remeber corectly the wiring diagram that came with the alarm system was not 100% and sombody on here (Rhory?) amemded it so it was spot on. Not sure what the up to date wiring diagram is like but if I can manage to splice the system into the loom and the bike still works....then anybody can.

Ian

[Edit] - A dig through my old photobucket folder proves that I really do keep a lot of crap on there..... ;)

This was what came in the box:

The wiring diagram (un-edited I think)...

And where i ended up putting it all - under the pillion seat and in the tool pouch tray...

vfrman
Reactions:

Post by vfrman » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:03 pm

Something to look into. Thanks. I was thinking more of a little fob I keep in my jacket that brings the bike to life when I get close. Then I just hit the starter and off I go.

barryfzr
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by barryfzr » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:42 pm

I designed a simple (and better imo) system ages ago which could be used on my front door lock aswell. I'll get round to do it again...oneday! Sorry to tease but this comment will keep me in the thread! ;)

vfrman
Reactions:

Post by vfrman » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:36 pm

At least you could share the schematic!