Gold wheels

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
manicguitarist
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: RVF400 (NC35)
Re: Gold wheels

Post by manicguitarist » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:28 pm

Did it damage the bearings? Doesn't powder coating involve baking it on? If so - won't that cook the grease in the front bearings?

VtypeV4
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: FJ1200 3CV, NC30, CX500

Post by VtypeV4 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:31 pm

I'd completely stripped the wheel as the tyres were toast and the bearings (whilst seeming serviceable) were old so I had mind to change them all anyways. New rubber dust seals too.

I understand the process involves spraying the powder on using an electrical charge and then baking it in a big oven..

Neosophist
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: CBR954

Post by Neosophist » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:23 pm

manicguitarist wrote:Did it damage the bearings? Doesn't powder coating involve baking it on? If so - won't that cook the grease in the front bearings?
you have to take bearings out first...
xivlia wrote:i dont go fast on this bike so really do not need a rear brake.. /
vic-vtrvfr wrote:Ask xivlia for help, he's tackled just about every problem u could think of...

richyrd5
Reactions:

Post by richyrd5 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:36 pm

Old thread i know but does anyone know if theres a of the shelf rattle can for the gold sp1/cbr nissin calipers??.cheers

micpec
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35’s, NC30 sold, MC34 many

Post by micpec » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:50 pm

I stripped some spare set of rims to bare and prep'd them for powder coating this week. Have the option to choose from 3 different color code of gold. Shall post the result hopefully before Xmas.
"Action without Philosophy is a lethal weapon; Philosophy without action is worthless"

manicguitarist
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: RVF400 (NC35)

Post by manicguitarist » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:33 pm

micpec wrote:I stripped some spare set of rims to bare and prep'd them for powder coating this week. Have the option to choose from 3 different color code of gold. Shall post the result hopefully before Xmas.
How much / where did you get your spare wheels from?

richyrd5
Reactions:

Post by richyrd5 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:37 pm

micpec wrote:I stripped some spare set of rims to bare and prep'd them for powder coating this week. Have the option to choose from 3 different color code of gold. Shall post the result hopefully before Xmas.
That would be great micpec.if you could find out what colour the gold(or nearest to it)for the sp1/cbr nissin calipers that would be helpful.cheers

micpec
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by micpec » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:57 pm

manicguitarist wrote:
How much / where did you get your spare wheels from?
eerhm..here: viewforum.php?f=78
Last edited by micpec on Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Action without Philosophy is a lethal weapon; Philosophy without action is worthless"

richyrd5
Reactions:

Post by richyrd5 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:02 pm

Hmm.link doesnt work jason?

micpec
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by micpec » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:08 pm

Went today to the powdercoaters...sadly for me it's their last working day for this year before Year end closure for 2 weeks off, they will reopen early Jan-16 for a new season.

They showed me these colours as gold, of which Pearlbeige [1035] is of course no where near any gold (see top colour sample on the ral code card). 2nd on top of the card is Pearlgold [1036], which is not bad but no exact match. And the rim painted sample in gold is brighter/more shiney as a gold colour finished with a blanco top laquer. I really like that.
Need to call another powdercoaters to see if they have time and space in their agenda on short term for gold.