headlight covers, round and silhouette shapes.

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
ibby4585
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: SP's
Re: headlight covers, round and silhouette shapes.

Post by ibby4585 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:40 am

I lucky escape I've been told! ;-)

royster81
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400R-L NC30 CBR400RR-R NC29

Post by royster81 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:06 am

sam told me to have a go with the boiling water but after a few red fingers and a lot of steam the lense wasn't moving and keep the same shape.

i remember martin a few years back used heat to bend his covers so i warmed the oven to 120* and placed the lense on some cooking foil. 2-3 minutes later the lense had some give in it so i placed it on top of the spare nose cone,held it down with a few bits of masking tape to help hold it and keep the shape then i ran it under the hose pipe in the back garden.

this worked for the pictures above but i probably could have let it warm some more to help mould it better but i didn't want the cover melting all over the cooker, that would not go down well with the missus.

as for holding the lense on, i was thinking screen bolts . i got some from rick oliver a few weeks back for the CBR400RR and they were little black dome allen heads. i'll get two holes in the lense and screw these it to see how they look.
It's not having what you want but wanting what you've got....Loud ,Proud and Modified ....

royster81
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400R-L NC30 CBR400RR-R NC29

Post by royster81 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:09 am

hannakournikova wrote:
ibby4585 wrote:
hannakournikova wrote:i think between me and Rhory we have 3 silhouette nose cones if Sam needs them :)

Yeah but you wont sell them they will just rot in your garage with all the other stuff! ;-)

And Rhory's is decent!
Sour grapes much?
ibby4585 wrote:I lucky escape I've been told! ;-)
come on fellas, keep your differences off this post bighug
It's not having what you want but wanting what you've got....Loud ,Proud and Modified ....

ibby4585
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by ibby4585 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:10 am

How about over the spout of a boiling kettle bending with soft toothed pliers.

Yeah original screen bolts is a good call same style as the Silhouette clips.

ibby4585
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by ibby4585 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:10 am

Apologies to both of you. Nothing personal.

GFRacingUK
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by GFRacingUK » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:41 pm

sorry to deviate the thread slightly, but I now see why no one has these Silhouette Fairings. The Main Upper and Lower works out at £731 and the seat unit £265, that's for the plain white finish! without any shipping or import duty!

Why are they so expensive, can they not be replicated over here?
GF Racing UK - New & Used Parts CBR400 NC23/NC29/VFR & RVF400 NC30/ NC35
http://www.gfracinguk.com
sales@gfracinguk.com
Tel: 01652 650142 -
Ext 1 for Parts - Dan
Ext 2 for Workshop - Graeme

jay3
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by jay3 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:46 pm

Vparts wrote:
Why are they so expensive....
They are expensive because the Japanese Yen is very strong. Its 126 ish to the pound (in reality the rate from Paypal or your bank is more likely 120), it used to be around 200+, so if you go back to that exchange rate they are not expensive. Your hard earned pound is worth sweet FA.

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from= ... Y&view=10Y

Look at the rate over the last 10 years. Since the subprime market collapse in 2007, the fall out from that has made the yen very valuable, it is seen as a "safe haven" currency.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/11224515 ... rency.html

Shipping is free with webike. But you will have to pay import tax, they wont put it as anything less that its value, and they wont put it as a gift either. They are not Chinese fairings, they actually have Quality control and standards.

vfrman
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30, 1098s

Post by vfrman » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:05 am

hannakournikova wrote:
ibby4585 wrote:
hannakournikova wrote:i think between me and Rhory we have 3 silhouette nose cones if Sam needs them :)

Yeah but you wont sell them they will just rot in your garage with all the other stuff! ;-)

And Rhory's is decent!
Sour grapes much?
ibby4585 wrote:I lucky escape I've been told! ;-)
Yeah, and I sold my spare Silhouette fairing...

I would still like a couple clear covers please...

Sam-NI
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: '89 VFR400

Post by Sam-NI » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:29 pm

Hi guys,

Had a check to see what stock I have at the moment.

The covers I made up for Rhory are 2mm clear. I have enough for a few sets of this anyway.

Any other colour, i'd have to order in, and its also only available in 3mm, and I am yet to test how easy this is to bend to shape.

As you all love you NC30s, and are perfectionists, i'm going to offer them in a few flavours, that is if you want them.

Flat cut, undrilled, to shape and fit yourself. Single £10 Pair £16

Flat cut, drilled, to shape and fit yourself. Single £10 Pair £16

Cut, Moulded to suit Standard NC30 nosecone Undrilled. Single £20 Pair £32

Cut, Moulded to suit Standard NC30 nosecone Drilled. Single £20 Pair £32

Moulding it isnt hard to do at home on your own nose cone. Submerge the cover in boiling water, and a firm hand, or wrapped in baking parchment and foil, and a very low oven, or even submerged in water and a low oven, will make it plyable enough to get it the way you want it.

This way you ensure you get the fit you want, not the fit I want!

Drilled and undrilled is the same price. If you have holes in your nose cone already, I won't know where they are, if you don't I can drill pilot holes in the cover where they should be.

The additional cost for moulding them is justified by the fact i'll need to tool up the machinary (make moulds etc) to make them. A tester cover may be made, and posted to you, so you can see if its the fit you would be happy with! I don't want to sell things people wouldn't be happy with!

The edge will have a frosted finished on them (from machining). For an additional £3 a cover, I can polish the edges by hand. (Original silhouette covers have a frosted finish as far as i'm aware)

Hopefully I will get moulds of the Silhouette covers, and get these out for the same price.

No tooling up has been done yet, and still quite busy producing other things, so this is really just to gauge interest at the moment.

So let me know if you would be happy with these options!

Hopefully get into production at the start of next month!

Cheers!

Drunkn Munky
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30 MC21 TZR FZR GSXR RG MITO

Post by Drunkn Munky » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:43 pm

I'll take a a couple of sets, 1 set im sure is the same shape as rhorys the other set are slighly different, well 1 side is but i cant remember which. I can send you the slightly different ones to take a mould from if need be.