Badly fitting screen..........or just a bad fairing.

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
avinitboys
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: TRE NC24 NC30x2 GK76a KTM250
Badly fitting screen..........or just a bad fairing.

Post by avinitboys » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:30 pm

Trying to fit my new Powerbronze screen to my recently bought fibreglass nosecone today. Not a great fit I have to say. I have never fitted any aftermarket bodywork before and I guess from what people have said, its gonna be a bit of a struggle. Anyway, got a little concerned when I could hear some cracking and there was still a 5mm gap in various areas between the screen and the nosecone.
Question is........has anybody else found a good solution to filling the gap. Was thinking about a closed cell foam draught excluder type thingy, but dont want it to look too tacky and bodged up.
Any ideas?

dx400r
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Re: Badly fitting screen..........or just a bad fairing.

Post by dx400r » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:19 pm

More like a bad screen. The airblade one I had once was a very tight fit. So much so it splintered all across the middle. The ones off david silver are a tight fit but go on more easily.

alexwitham
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 675R, GSXR6, NC30

Post by alexwitham » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:48 pm

Both my NC's have Airblade screens and they went on with no gaps and no problems at all. I found that if you start tightening the screws from the bottom 2, and work your way up, it gives the best 'gap-free' fit.

Gavin jap4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35 NC29 MC28SP MC21 SP1 916

Post by Gavin jap4 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:35 pm

it will all depend on how good a quality the aftermarket fairing is aswell as I have seen some shocking ones

Drunkn Munky
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30 MC21 TZR FZR GSXR RG MITO

Post by Drunkn Munky » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:09 pm

id say it was the fairing, even standard screens fit badly on the fiberglass fairings ive had, but they've all been cheap ones.

avinitboys
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: TRE NC24 NC30x2 GK76a KTM250

Post by avinitboys » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:13 pm

Thanks for your thoughts. I bought the fairings knowing they were fibreglass and that I may have a few issues but to be fair, I did a quick fit the other day and was pleasantly surprised how well they went on. The nose cone had been on a bike before but the one piece lowers didn't even have holes drilled so I expected a few problems. The fact that they all lined up so well and yet the screen fits so badly is strange.
Anyway, I had a bit of a play with tightening the screws from the bottom up and it's a little better now. Shouldn't have bothered though 'cos they all have to come off again as I have to sort the valve clearances and carbs. Just couldn't wait to see what it was gonna look like! Not to everyones taste, but I like it and it will be a bit better with a few decals, the seats recovered and some new black rearsets.
Ill post some pics when it's all done.