Painting - how hard can it be....?

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
SimNC30
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30
Re: Painting - how hard can it be....?

Post by SimNC30 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:18 pm

Drunkn Munky wrote:Its pretty easy but good preperation and somewhere big enough to do it is vital. Ive had pretty good results with the proper paint cans you get from paint suppliers. There quite pricey compared to halfords but their match any colour you want and the spray nozzle's used on these cans give a much better spray.
I am planning to get the paint from RS Paint who know the exact colours I need and were really helpful on the phone. They said their rattle cans give professional results, so I'll have to see I guess. If i do go ahead and do it myself i will take photos for and get them on here for much 'look how he's bodged that' hilarity...

viper_biker
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400RR, CBR1000RR6

Post by viper_biker » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:26 pm

SimNC30 wrote:The last photo - ouch. What was the damage to yourself and the bike?
Me - Lucky to keep my leg from the knee down as I just missed the nerve. Footpeg went in and out,

Before Surgery,

After Surgery,

6 weeks post surgey,

As for the bike, it was broken for parts.
Ducati 916, not worth a carrott

VfRTeddy
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: Vfr400 nc24

Post by VfRTeddy » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:25 pm

Ouch looks nasty an y u break the bike for parts ive seen some far worse than that after pickin them up an then seen them out the next day lol.
u see lots of nasty ones like that from the orange side of the barrier lol

Neosophist
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: CBR954

Post by Neosophist » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:30 pm

It's not that difficult to paint plastic fairings.

You'll need,

Practice and experience
The right equipment
Appropriate prep time.

The best type of paint to use at home would be 2K from a spray gun, of course your going to need thinners and a suitable compressor / gun (not cheap homebase one). If spraying from a gun / compressor, the quality of the gun makes all the difference!

You can of course use rattle cans but the quality of the finish isn't usually anywhere near as good as decent paint. (mind you, depends on whats in the cans ;)

Preparation is the key, rub it down, then rub it down again, then rub it down some more ;)

Degrease everything and run lots of water / allow it to air-dry before priming / painting.

If your applying a final coat of laquer you'll have to flatten the finish off the paint beforehand.. this involves rubbing the paint all over with some fine wet and dry, 1500grade or higher (use lots of soapy water) to take the shine off the paint and key the surface to allow the laquer to stick.

Here's one of my old bikes I painted using water-based Red paint and coated with clear 2K laquer. It was a horrible purple before.

You can't really tell how good the finish was from the pictures but it was like glass :D

xivlia wrote:i dont go fast on this bike so really do not need a rear brake.. /
vic-vtrvfr wrote:Ask xivlia for help, he's tackled just about every problem u could think of...

fixer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: nc30/bsab25

Post by fixer » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:25 pm

Hi i have just had a front mudguard and inner radiator cowl resprayed in NH196 white.For my nc30,100 pound.Very pleased with the result.I reckon your quote of 300 pound is good one.The lad who did my work had done previous work on cars we had owned so knew his standard of work was first class.Its the same old story you get what you pay for.
F I X E R