Carbon Fibre Number Plate Project

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
graham72
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30,
Carbon Fibre Number Plate Project

Post by graham72 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:37 pm

Just finished one of my many projects that are on the go at the moment, and Im quite chuffed with how it came out!
Real carbon fibre backed number plate, had to end up sorting it all out myself as the company that was going to do it broke their machine and stopped doing them!

Cant make my mind up whether to leave it as is, or put clear vinyl over the to to seal it in.

Drunkn Munky
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30 MC21 TZR FZR GSXR RG MITO
Re: Carbon Fibre Number Plate Project

Post by Drunkn Munky » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:10 pm

I had one on a ducati, there was no clear coating over the top and it stood the test of time. i spose it depends on the quality of the vinyl you used. Looks top tho, well done

DanHam
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by DanHam » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:12 pm

I like that alot, did you do the vinyl yourself or got it done by a company?

graham72
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by graham72 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:01 am

DanHam wrote:I like that alot, did you do the vinyl yourself or got it done by a company?
I got the vinyl made up by a seller on ebay, sent him a message asking if he could do a negative number plate in reflective vinyl, as I needed the bit they would usually throw away to make the numbers and letters for my number plate!

Re-reading what Ive just typed, Im not sure that makes sense, but hopefully you get it!

carbonmods.co.uk supplied the carbon, the sell it in A5 size, If you send them an email they will custom cut a piece for you to the size you want for a few quid extra. (I even managed to get a freebie bit to make a keyring for my bike key!!)
I then gave the measurements of the plate to the vinyl guy, I asked him to make the numbers and letters smaller to suit the smaller plate, and he sent it through within a couple of days.

Applied the vinyl to the carbon sheet (using water spray with a bit of kids shampoo to help with positioning) once I was sure it was positioned correctly, squeeged out all the excess water then cut a border in round the edge, job done!

Vinyl guy even gave me two sets of the vinyl, so if it ever the first one gets a bit tatty, whip off the old vinyl, buff up the carbon and reply 2nd vinyl!

Let me know if you want the vinylguys details and I'll dig them out of the computer.

DanHam
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by DanHam » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:34 pm

Cheers mate, I may just take you up on that offer of his details, I'll be attending the bike show next week so I'm sure someone there will be selling some carbon sheets, I am also looking for a little bit of carbon for some custom heel guards :)

Carbon keyring :o what did you knock up out of it?

I absolutely love carbon bits on a bike.

abrmoto
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: RVFx5,SP1,MV F3,C90,Firestorm

Post by abrmoto » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:40 pm

Drunkn Munky wrote:I had one on a ducati, there was no clear coating over the top and it stood the test of time. i spose it depends on the quality of the vinyl you used. Looks top tho, well done
yeah still looks good ;)

w00dzy
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Aprilia RSVR Mille

Post by w00dzy » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:27 pm

Looks good matey..

Mr_Fen
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30

Post by Mr_Fen » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:22 pm

post the details please, I think I need em ;)

graham72
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by graham72 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:16 pm

The seller on eBay was called signaturefx-co-uk, cost me about 8 quid Inc postage for the vinyl!

mattUKNC
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Fury, NC30, CRF250L and a C90!

Post by mattUKNC » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:44 pm

DanHam wrote:I am also looking for a little bit of carbon for some custom heel guards :)
V4Chris on here made some for my SP1 system, looked good. :grin:
(The carbon bits anyway, I welded up some brackets.)