95 ron fuel or higher ? which is better ?

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
BrownyNC29
Settled in member
Reactions:
95 ron fuel or higher ? which is better ?

Post by BrownyNC29 » Thu May 22, 2008 11:12 am

what fuel do you guys use ? 95RON or the higer super unleaded like BP optimax of BP ultimate ? any benfits or running problems with the higher grade one ?

Sligeach
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: '90 NC30 - '12 Stripe R
Re: 95 ron fuel or higher ? which is better ?

Post by Sligeach » Thu May 22, 2008 11:19 am

the bike is about 19 years old and the differece will not be noticeable with a bike using old plugs, perhaps with new bikes running fuel injection.
i personally have never noticed a difference

BrownyNC29
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by BrownyNC29 » Thu May 22, 2008 11:21 am

declangaelic wrote:the bike is about 19 years old and the differece will not be noticeable with a bike using old plugs, perhaps with new bikes running fuel injection.
i personally have never noticed a difference
thanks mate might put a full tank in anyway if for nothing else than its cleaning properties :D

Fluffy
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Fluffy » Thu May 22, 2008 12:07 pm

with the current cost of super............ no way its worth it!!
even debating the value of it in the race bike!!!

Sligeach
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: '90 NC30 - '12 Stripe R

Post by Sligeach » Thu May 22, 2008 1:20 pm

perhaps i am a bit of a hypocrite tho, because despite knowing better, i still throw a tankful into the bike ever couple of months in the off chance i was wrong!!

my friends drives a 2006 lancer evo FQ340BHP, and he has had his car re-mapped to run 95-ron instead of the more expensive stuff. in fairness on tick-over you could hear small stutters in the tick-over before the remap. but of course this is a highly tuned machine running fuel injection and all matter of electronics.

leopard_pagan
Reactions:
Bike owned: CBR400/600 Fighter

Post by leopard_pagan » Thu May 22, 2008 6:36 pm

be thank full we dont have 92RON like they do on the local US air base! even the yanks dont use the stuff its that bad!

wullvfr
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: zx9r c1

Post by wullvfr » Thu May 22, 2008 9:10 pm

i dont think its worth the extra cost....a while back in one of the bike mags they ran a zx6r with it and i think it produced 3 more bhp......the higher octane fuels have more additives to reduce effects of knocking etc but i believe 95ron is sufficent enough. :D :D :D
please,god,....give me the chance to prove that winning the lottery won't spoil me!!!

Thamarillo
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: nc23, 750/k4

Post by Thamarillo » Fri May 30, 2008 8:40 pm

The ron of the fuel only relates to the octane.

The octane level does not change the effectiveness/energy density of the fuel - it has the same energy, it changes its temperature of combustion, higher ron is cooler running.

Higher ron and thus cooler combustion allows a higher compression tuning of an engine before pinking - and detonation (hot spots forming usually in the piston squish area, or the crown - causing preignition befor as well as from the the spark plug - this can slowly errode - or actually rip whole chunks of motor off). Thus even in the higher tuned motor - youl still get the same power out on a lower octane fuel as you would on a higher one :o , but the motor will destroy itself sooner .

I put higher ron fuel in on a track day - simply cos things are running hard at full chat - but not for more power. We run an Avgas an Higher ROn Fuel mix - super unleaded or whatever - when moped racing, as thats had the tits tuned out of it with a high compression. Most racers i assume choose a higher octane for this reason, or add an octane booster. I read that a new CBR600 has a preignition sensor that winds up or down the timing (or the compression??) with differeing fuels burning characters. Such a system WILL give you differeing power for differing RON. Mostly fer old designs all a higher octane fuel is - is a choice to pay more for exactly the same performance and reliability. And there is no difference to be noticed without a thermometer less you have a pre-ignition sensor.

Thamarillo
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: nc23, 750/k4

Post by Thamarillo » Fri May 30, 2008 9:18 pm

here - from

http://www.petrolprices.com/about-fuel.html

"What do the fuel companies say then, to justify the "increased power" claims for the super grade fuels? Some companies say that while all fuels contain cleaning additives, 'super' fuels contain more or better detergents to keep the injectors cleaner than standard fuel. Others say the fuel is a few percent denser which gives slightly more power per litre. These benefits may be marginal though in comparison to the extra cost involved so it is worth ensuring that your engine will actually benefit before filling up.

Some engines actually do need higher octane fuel, such as race engines with very high compression and some turbocharged engines, such as the import version of the Nissan Skyline. Also, a few vehicles, such as the new BMW K1200R motorbike, can sense knock and adjust their engine tuning to take advantage of higher grade fuels. Another user commented that the 2004 BMW 330 also does this, according to the driver's handbook it makes 231 BHP on 98 octane and 221 BHP on 95. This ability is apparently widespread amongst German performance cars using Bosch / Siemens electronic engine controls."

you can also read - Freakanomics! - a book that nicely outlines how 'giving customers the option to pay more' actually works.... as in 'fair trade coffee' ... or 'super fuel'.... -> yepso that farmer sees all of as good as fukall of your fair trade markup... EVEN BY HIS STANDARDS!

For further information on the major fuel companies fuel options see their individual information pages: LOL :lol: