RVF400 side stand fix

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
socket
Settled in member
Reactions:
RVF400 side stand fix

Post by socket » Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:26 pm

Have you noticed the excessive lean angle with the standard side stand. This is easily fixed by using the arm and spring of the Vfr750 94 -98. Bolts on and is about 20mm longer.

richyrd5
Reactions:
Re: RVF400 side stand fix

Post by richyrd5 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:31 pm

Same with nc29 one..fits straight on a nc30 when fitting the 17inch rvf rear

Foxy400
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35 NC29 Bonneville CBR600F4i

Post by Foxy400 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:03 am

The info about the RVF/VFR 750 side stand swop is very useful, thanks.

manicguitarist
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: RVF400 (NC35)

Post by manicguitarist » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:01 pm

Is it actually a problem?
Having had bikes fall over due to being too upright I’d rather a bike was leaning over more than otherwise.

Foxy400
Reactions:

Post by Foxy400 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:52 pm

I've never had a bike fall over because it's side stand was either too short or too long. The fact that the NC35 & 29 lean over more than most means they take up a bit more room in my garage. I usually park the stand on a block of wood to lift the bike up a tad and it does make a noticeable difference if you've got 4 bikes to negotiate when you want to shuffle around in there. I acquired an VFR750 stand for £12 so when the garage temp climbs above freezing I may venture in and attempt the necessary.

manicguitarist
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by manicguitarist » Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:24 pm

Ah!
That makes sense.
My MV F3 - I had to bet that sidestand cut down because I’d lowered the bike...and it was too upright and at danger of falling over.

Foxy400
Reactions:

Post by Foxy400 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:03 am

When you lowered your MV what do you reckon the seat height was? My FireBlade was 810mm and that's my limit. My two Hondas and the Bonneville are all below 800mm. Bike choice is rather restricted if leg length is an issue and many modern bike manufacturers seem to assume everyone is 6 foot+. I'd love one of the original Africa Twins but seat height is something like 870mm. I like to get both feet on the ground at a standstill and not have to worry about potholes and road-camber. I've always fancied an F3 but would it be too tall?

manicguitarist
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by manicguitarist » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:10 am

Foxy400 wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:03 am
When you lowered your MV what do you reckon the seat height was? My FireBlade was 810mm and that's my limit. My two Hondas and the Bonneville are all below 800mm. Bike choice is rather restricted if leg length is an issue and many modern bike manufacturers seem to assume everyone is 6 foot+. I'd love one of the original Africa Twins but seat height is something like 870mm. I like to get both feet on the ground at a standstill and not have to worry about potholes and road-camber. I've always fancied an F3 but would it be too tall?
My inside leg is 28" - so I feel your pain when it comes to modern bikes. They are getting far far too tall.
I had the F3 lowered an inch - and could get both feet on the floor - not flat, but both feet down.
It makes me roll my eyes when tall people say "you don't need to be able to get both feet down". Yes, yes you do. Road camber, potholes, manoeuvring.

FWIW, I PX'd my MV for a Panigale V2 - and have had that lowered (by both shaving the seat - the oem seat is over 1" thick and dropping the suspension). I can get both feet on the floor here too.

Foxy400
Reactions:

Post by Foxy400 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:59 am

Hmm, now you've got me thinking. There aren't any MV dealers near me and they'd be closed anyway (bloody virus). But I have friends in Dorset and MotoCorsa isn't far away from them. They're due a visit when this lockdown is lifted, so I may go and sling a leg over. If you've not been to MotoCorsa it's well worth a visit. Amazing variety of bikes, including the modern Brough Superiors. The upstairs accessory shop is 'decorated' with some classic 80's & 90's bikes, CBX1000, Jota, 1st gen FireBlade & GSXR750, RC30 and more, all for sale (I think). Their cafe is pretty good too, with a very inviting outside dining area if the sun is shining. I went down through Wales, keeping off motorways and most dual carriageways, using the A49, which is a good road. At Monmouth I eventually found the Severn Bridge (you'd think it would be easy..it wasn't), skirted round Bristol and down through Somerset. A great journey with two excellent destinations (including my friends).
From there I met up with my brother and the next day we carried on down to Lands End. At that point we joined the Malle Rally and over the next 6 days rode up to John O'Groats. Almost all on B roads and single track (which is why it took 6 days). We were on our Bonnevilles, along with 50-60 other bikes (in small teams, not all together) and as the Rally organisers said, it was 'an inappropriate journey on inappropriate bikes'. We camped and our gear was transported in a truck, so we didn't have to lug that around with us. An incredible experience, amongst the best scenery in Britain, on some of the best routes I've ever ridden. The bikes were trucked back from Inverness and we got the plane home. I covered 2021 miles in total. It's on again next June (this year it was postponed until September and bloody cold) if you fancy it! We do.
You can watch a 14 minute film of the event on the Malle London website. Look for the film called '1500'.

manicguitarist
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by manicguitarist » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:15 am

Foxy400 wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:59 am
Hmm, now you've got me thinking. There aren't any MV dealers near me and they'd be closed anyway (bloody virus). But I have friends in Dorset and MotoCorsa isn't far away from them. They're due a visit when this lockdown is lifted, so I may go and sling a leg over. If you've not been to MotoCorsa it's well worth a visit. Amazing variety of bikes, including the modern Brough Superiors. The upstairs accessory shop is 'decorated' with some classic 80's & 90's bikes, CBX1000, Jota, 1st gen FireBlade & GSXR750, RC30 and more, all for sale (I think). Their cafe is pretty good too, with a very inviting outside dining area if the sun is shining. I went down through Wales, keeping off motorways and most dual carriageways, using the A49, which is a good road. At Monmouth I eventually found the Severn Bridge (you'd think it would be easy..it wasn't), skirted round Bristol and down through Somerset. A great journey with two excellent destinations (including my friends).
From there I met up with my brother and the next day we carried on down to Lands End. At that point we joined the Malle Rally and over the next 6 days rode up to John O'Groats. Almost all on B roads and single track (which is why it took 6 days). We were on our Bonnevilles, along with 50-60 other bikes (in small teams, not all together) and as the Rally organisers said, it was 'an inappropriate journey on inappropriate bikes'. We camped and our gear was transported in a truck, so we didn't have to lug that around with us. An incredible experience, amongst the best scenery in Britain, on some of the best routes I've ever ridden. The bikes were trucked back from Inverness and we got the plane home. I covered 2021 miles in total. It's on again next June (this year it was postponed until September and bloody cold) if you fancy it! We do.
You can watch a 14 minute film of the event on the Malle London website. Look for the film called '1500'.
I loved my F3. It was a great bike. The only problem I had was the availability of service parts. MotoCorsa is a long was from me! I love touring on the bike and often do 1000mile weekends. The main issue I have is finding time when my son is being looked after by my parents - so it is always a weekend away for really.
Your film looks good!