NC35 Ram Air Setup

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
SPOONDIDDLY
Settled in member
Reactions:
NC35 Ram Air Setup

Post by SPOONDIDDLY » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:51 am

G'day guys,

I am located in Australia and I'm looking at getting RB Racing to do some work on the carbs of my track bike to set it up with ram air, which will cost up to $600

What they are offering is:"Carbs rebuilt, rejetted, base plate is modified to function as a 'ram air box', HRC trumpets fitted, slides drilled to the spec I know works with this setup. If the engine is in good condition, 64hp+ at the rear wheel". They will also override the vacuum system on the fuel tap. This is the setup that they run on their NC35 race bikes.

The price includes an HRC style undertray and I have the Tyga 'Ram-Air' airbox lid on the way.
When I asked them about HRC needles, emulsion tubes etc. they said that that setup was suitable for leaded fuel only, and that the setup they were offering was optimised for premium 98 fuels.

Currently I am running the stock airbox with a hi-flo filter and 118 mains with a full Ethos exhaust system and it runs well with nice linear power, however I intend on getting into racing in the near future so I would like to get my bike performing as well as possible.

There's no doubt that RB racing do fantastic work and they are guru's with these 400's, however I am in two minds about spending so much money on mods to the carbs that people seem to have real difficulty with when it comes to getting the set up correct and whether it is worth it over the stock.

What are your thoughts and recommendations?
For those of you that went with ram-air, how did it go over stock? Was it worth it?

moforockband
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: GK73a SP CRM250 mk3
Re: NC35 Ram Air Setup

Post by moforockband » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:06 pm

Be careful drilling the slides, as cv carbs can easily bog down if the slide raises too quickly if you are at a slow hairpin etc. If the bike feels sluggish when you crack the throttle open, you can slowly open up the slide holes, you can buy drills in wire size, which go up in very small 0.1mm increments. But go to big and the bike will die, especially on long gearing and you'll get hit up the arse!

RoninZX-10R
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35 racebike, ZX10R roadbike

Post by RoninZX-10R » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:15 pm

That's interesting what RB said about the HRC needles, emulsion tubes, etc, only being suitable for leaded fuels. I use that set up in my NC35 race bike, however I only use the HRC under tray with no filter. It works well enough but I'm sure it could be made to run so much stronger with a bit of work. I've always been interested in the ram air set up but from all the reports I've read they do require a fair bit of time to properly set them up, however RB have been racing 400's for quite a while so they know what works and what doesn't.

Keep us all updated if you decide to pull the pin and go ahead with RB's set up. $600 is not a bad price to get to 64hp. Good luck

SPOONDIDDLY
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by SPOONDIDDLY » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:57 am

I decided to pull the trigger and get RB to sort the carbs out for me.

It's not specifically 'Ram-Air', more like a mild HRC set up which is fine. I think that I spent too much time researching and stumbled upon peoples attempts at 'Ram-Air' which made me concerned.

Looking forward to seeing what RB do with my carbs!

RoninZX-10R
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by RoninZX-10R » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:01 am

Definitely keep us updated and throw in a few photos if you can.

Are you planning to put it on the dyno after the mods are done to see how she runs?

SPOONDIDDLY
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by SPOONDIDDLY » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:56 am

Yeah i'll be sure to post plenty of pics and will get it dyno'd in the near future!

RoninZX-10R
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by RoninZX-10R » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:28 pm

Any progress with the carbies from RB?

SPOONDIDDLY
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by SPOONDIDDLY » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:18 pm

The airtray that they get outsourced has held everything up, but I spoke to them today and they are sending the carbs this week and will send the airtray separately once they receive it - so I will post pics once I get them!

CMSMJ1
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30-No9

Post by CMSMJ1 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:56 pm

You'd want the HRC slide springs for rvf carbs instead of drilling the slides.

Other than that, crack on :)
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

The V4 is the law..

NC30 - No9 - my old mate

SPOONDIDDLY
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by SPOONDIDDLY » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:15 am

CMSMJ1 wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:56 pm
You'd want the HRC slide springs for rvf carbs instead of drilling the slides.

Other than that, crack on :)
While I know that yourself and a lot of others have had great success with your set ups, RB Racing are known as the RVF/VFR400 experts in Australia, having raced a number of bikes over the years. They come highly recommended from others that have had them set up their carbs as well. They also have their own dyno and have spent significant time testing their set ups and have apparently found this to be the best one for these bikes.

On page 3 of this thread, another person spent a lot of time trying to set up their carbs to HRC spec, before talking to RB Racing and getting better results: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=36330&start=20

After speaking to them, they advised that the HRC set up is designed to work with leaded fuels, rather than the current generation of unleaded fuel that we are all running in our bikes.

Having said that - I'm not devaluing the HRC set up as I know that a lot of people have had great results with it, however for our conditions and fuel types in Australia, the RB Racing set up seems to be the way to go.