NC35 Ram Air Setup

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
CMSMJ1
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30-No9
Re: NC35 Ram Air Setup

Post by CMSMJ1 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:09 pm

Mate, I hear you.

HRC Slide springs - they just deliver the same effect as drilling slides and are an option on RVF carbs. I'd just call out that the drilling was for NC30s that don't have the option of new slide springs

Otherwise - I totally agree - another man's meat is another man's poison and there should not be any blind following of setups - especially when we are getting fruity with ram air and the like :)

I'm sure your bike will be spot on
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

The V4 is the law..

NC30 - No9 - my old mate

RoninZX-10R
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35 racebike, ZX10R roadbike

Post by RoninZX-10R » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:34 pm

I'd never read that about the other guy getting RB to set up his carbies, very interesting. Now I'm seriously considering getting in contact with them! Are you going to be sending them your carbies or will they supply all the parts that they know will work with your setup?

SPOONDIDDLY
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by SPOONDIDDLY » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:31 am

I sent my carbies to them to get done. I havn't had a chance to take photo's but they look great. From what I can see, they have done the following:
- Ultrasonic clean and rebuild with OEM gasket kit
- drilled slides
- replaced long velocity stacks with OEM shorties
- 150 mains (also supplied 140's)
- replaced one of the emulsion tubes (it was incorrect for the bike)
- Modified the carb tray so that the hoses equalise the float bowl pressures using the pressure inside the airbox
- Modified my fuel tap (HRC Mod)
- A few other tweaks

This will be coupled with the Tyga 'ram-air' air box lid and no filter.
They also have a custom air tray that they outsource to a fiberglass expert, however that has been delayed. I'm hoping to receive it soon but I didn't want it to delay getting the bike back on the track.

I will be fitting up the carbs tomorrow and taking it for a test run - I will report back once done!

RoninZX-10R
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by RoninZX-10R » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:59 am

Sounds like RB did a great job. Once I get my tax return done I think a call to RB might be in order 😊

On a slightly different topic, have you installed a 2K ohm resister in your wiring loom (assuming you no longer have the speedo)? I don't have one in mine, but a free of the wiring diagrams I've recently looked at include the resistor, so I'm a little confused whether I need it or not.

SPOONDIDDLY
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by SPOONDIDDLY » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:21 am

I have installed the resistor on mine and still have the OEM speedo. It's a quick job and definitely worth removing the speed restriction as depending on what gearing you choose to run, it can start cutting in long before it was actually designed to.

SPOONDIDDLY
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by SPOONDIDDLY » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:47 am

SPOONDIDDLY
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by SPOONDIDDLY » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:55 am

Installed the new carb and other bits and fired her up. It has a fantastic induction noise now and it revs up much quicker. I took it for a quick squirt and the torque has definitely been pushed higher up in the rev range, but when it gets onto the main jets it really picks up.

It'll be interesting to see how it goes when on the track, but first impressions are very positive!

This is how she currently stands, ready for Broadford on the 31st:

RoninZX-10R
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by RoninZX-10R » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:03 pm

Very tidy looking bike you've got there. Now I see what you mean about modifying the carb tray so that the hoses equalise the float bowl pressures using the pressure inside the airbox, I've never seen that before. Good luck with the trackday at Broadford, sounds like you'll have a ball.

So do RB recommended running an airbox like you have or simply an under tray with an open carbie setup?

Regarding the resistor, does it matter how many watts it is? You can buy 0.5w, 5w, 10w, etc.

SPOONDIDDLY
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by SPOONDIDDLY » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:21 am

RB recommend the airbox set up that I'm running as it's similar to the HRC carb set up. The undertray helps to stabilize the incoming air and reduce are temps but is not 100% necessary. If you have a chat with them there are probably a few different set ups that they can recommend based on what you want to achieve - this was the one that they recommended for me.

I can't remember what wattage the resistor that I used was, but I wouldn't think that it would matter too much. Higher wattage would be beneficial as it will be able to cope with the power of the system, but I don't know what sort of wattage is going through the particular circuit that the resistor is connected to.

RoninZX-10R
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by RoninZX-10R » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:54 am

Cheers, thanks for that. I'll get in contact with RB and see what they recommend. At least the airbox cover isn't too expensive from Tyga, but now I just have to hunt around for the airbox base (fingers crossed I didn't turf it out!).