Exhaust removal problems

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Bazandbeanz1
Settled in member
Reactions:
Exhaust removal problems

Post by Bazandbeanz1 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:14 pm

Hi all, I had to remove the exhaust to get some new collars welded on. However the small exhaust manifold out of the rear of the engine I manage to snap one of the studs. So in my wisdom I have tried to remove the manifold. I can get the first three nuts/studs out but number four in the right hand side I cannot get either a socket/spanner onto the nut.

I then thought it might be easier to bolt it back on now and drill the snapped stud out, but I cannot get it back on, GRRRR. I still have the rear shock in place but not sure that removed would help much. Is it a case of having to drop the engine out?

Thanks

Barry

hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Re: Exhaust removal problems

Post by hunter » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:40 pm

Use a 1/4 drive socket a nuckle and long extention bar,
Worked for me.

wogstaa
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by wogstaa » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:12 am

You'll probably need to remove the rear shock.
It's a pain in the ass but I managed to install a Tyga full system on mine, snapped a stud on the rear manifold too when removing the old system.

I had the rear shock out and used all sorts of combinations of extensions and universal joints for my sockets to get the nuts off the studs on the head.

Bazandbeanz1
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Bazandbeanz1 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:40 am

Thanks Guys, I'll just have to percifere with it and maybe remove the shock for more room. Gutted as I just had new collars welded on the bottom of the exhaust that had rotted and could have got it on, ohh well winter project RVF will carry on for now.

Baz