What is the difference between an NC21 400R and an RG-YA

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Wolffe
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400 NC21
What is the difference between an NC21 400R and an RG-YA

Post by Wolffe » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:50 pm

I noticed on this website http://www.vsource.org/VFR-RVF_files/Bv ... -rj-mi.htm
that under the engine numbers the RG and the RG-YA have different engine codes?
I was wondering if they did something to the engine for the RG-YA as I can not seem to find any information on it other than this.

can anyone enlighten me?

CMSMJ1
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30-No9
Re: What is the difference between an NC21 400R and an RG-YA

Post by CMSMJ1 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:49 am

I would have a solid guess that there is no, or little material difference at all.
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

The V4 is the law..

NC30 - No9 - my old mate

JZH
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: RSCBRRVFVFRST

Post by JZH » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:54 pm

Never rule out typos in any of my work... ;) but my considered explanation would be that you're only looking at the beginning engine serial numbers for the RG and RG-YA models actually sold, which means that the first production engine produced on the engine assembly line in the RG specification was the 17th of all of the NC13E engines produced on that line at that time. Several more engines were produced and then the 65th rolled along and it was the first RG-YA production engine.

The table is slightly confusing because I was trying to show which colour schemes were produced. The source table in the Honda Parts Catalogue was not broken down in exactly that way. For example, there was only one row for RZ, one for RG and one for RG-YA. That is why all three RG rows in my table have the same beginning engine and frame serial numbers.

So, as CMSMJ1 said, there is not likely any difference in the engines (certainly nothing is indicated by the different beginning serial numbers), although I have not gone through the Parts Catalogue to confirm this.

Ciao,
JZH

London, UK/So.Cal., USA
www.vsource.org

Neosophist
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: CBR954

Post by Neosophist » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:01 am

There are no differences.

From memory the bike is the limited run colour scheme, like the one below.

If you check the parts book there are pictures of the bikes in there to match up the images....

A lot of people don't realise that the bike in this scheme was limited to only 1500 units in 1986, aparantly the colours were handmade, wahtever part of that they mean.. anyhow it was to comemorate the 1985 TTF3 Champion Yamamoto Yoichi (hence the -YA prefix)

He rode an RVF400 (80s one..) in the same livery.

http://www.honda.co.jp/news/1986/2860718.html

Honda press release here from 1986 detailing the bike and its available quantity.

picture of Yamamotos RVF, I took a load of good pictures of that bike last time I was up close to it
xivlia wrote:i dont go fast on this bike so really do not need a rear brake.. /
vic-vtrvfr wrote:Ask xivlia for help, he's tackled just about every problem u could think of...