How does HRC expansion bottle work (NC35)? Cooling probs!

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Swift577
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: RVF400
How does HRC expansion bottle work (NC35)? Cooling probs!

Post by Swift577 » Wed May 10, 2017 6:03 pm

Hi all, I don't understand how the coolant bottle strapped to the rad with only an inlet pipe can replace the original/traditional set up for cooling. I have been very badly bitten by this too so want to get it right as I can't convert back to std due to subframe & fairings etc (unless anyone has another solution like a reservoir from another bike that fits nicely in tyga fairings!?).

My system gradually dumped all it's coolant into the bottle which managed to empty itself through the top I guess leaving it completely dry and getting engine massively overheat. Taken the thermostat out and it's obviously knackered I just don't know whether it was to start with. I'm pretty sure the fan and top rad never kicked in so I think now maybe not... I want to be able to run the bike for longish rides and a few times a week without having to top up coolant every time. What should I also replace/check to make sure I've set it up ok?

Thanks!

magg
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400
Re: How does HRC expansion bottle work (NC35)? Cooling probs

Post by magg » Thu May 11, 2017 5:44 am

Usually very little coolant should leave or enter the overflow bottle and any size and position should suffice. The bottle is simply to collect coolant that is forced past the radiator cap as the coolant heats up and expands. As it cools it is sucked back of the the bottle. Thus the hose into the bottle has to be immersed in coolant at all times. Most of the coolant should remain in the radiators and not in the overflow bottle, so if it does not then the is a cooling system problem, perhaps a dud radiator cap that fails to hold pressure.

CMSMJ1
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30-No9

Post by CMSMJ1 » Thu May 11, 2017 11:04 am

it will find a balance - don't have the hose to the bottom of the bottle...
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

The V4 is the law..

NC30 - No9 - my old mate

Swift577
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: RVF400

Post by Swift577 » Thu May 11, 2017 5:38 pm

Great - thanks guys, think I am a bit happier about running it like this now! I'll make sure the pipe is immersed but not tight to bottom of bottle, then with new thermostat and rad cap hopefully all will be good! Cheers for the help, can't wait to get back out there!