RVF won't run after storage

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Marcodre
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: rvf 400
RVF won't run after storage

Post by Marcodre » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:26 pm

Hi guys!
I've got a rvf 400 from 94, all stock, which I have been trying to get ready for this season for quite a while now - and it just won't run..
Last time it was started without any problems was in December 2016.
The only "major" part I overhauled was the carbs - cleaned, new rubber seals and carefully put back together.
The first time I put it all together and tried to fire it up, nothing happened. I was worried that I had done something wrong when I assembled the carbs so I did it all over again. Still nothing happened..
Then i cleaned it a third time, but this time I noticed that there was some white crystals pouring out of the drain.
I did some research on it and I turns out that the fuel had gone bad which lead me to the next task - to clean the fuel tank.
I've spent most of today doing so. I've had the fuel tab off and I've found absolutely nothing upon inspection. I put everything back together, again, but it still won't run..

The right hand switch is in "run", fuel tab "on" and I've tried both with and without choke.
Battery is fine, spark plugs are as good as new from last season (gap 0.6 mm) even though they are a tiny bit oily but shouldn't be anything to worry about. They were also like that last season and it worked fine.
The electric starter turns when I crank it and it sounds like it turns over the engine, but there is no smell of gasoline in the exhaust at all.
I'm out of ideas..
Please help me guys

Over n out,
Marco

manicguitarist
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: RVF400 (NC35)
Re: RVF won't run after storage

Post by manicguitarist » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:08 pm

Carbs bunged up. Unless you drained them before storage?

Drunkn Munky
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30 MC21 TZR FZR GSXR RG MITO

Post by Drunkn Munky » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:29 am

Vac tube on the fuel tap?

Marcodre
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Marcodre » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:46 pm

Yeah vacuum tube is on, but I didn't drain the chambers before storage so you might be right?
Just don't understand how it could still be clogged after all that cleaning.
What kind of solvent do you guys like using for this?

Sendt fra min C6603 med Tapatalk

Drunkn Munky
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Drunkn Munky » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:43 am

Most likely pilots blocked then, dont just do the jets the whole circuit through to the 3 tiny holes behind the butterfly needs to be clear.

Speedy
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: RVF400RR, ER6n

Post by Speedy » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:05 am

I'd pull the spark plugs, clean them and burn off any residues on them. Get them good and clean, then try starting the bike again; choke fully open don't open the throttle, press the start button for 3-4 seconds at a time, otherwise the plugs might get fouled again. Make sure you got enough fuel for the tap to be on the ON position, if in doubt turn it to the reserve.
When the mind is relaxed, the body will go faster! 8-)

Marcodre
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Marcodre » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:01 pm

just took a peek into the carbs again and only one of the pilotjets were clogged so i guess thats progress..
I see the 3 tiny holes behind the butterfly valve but I cant seem to locate their origin (or how to clean them), and what is their function? :)

In the middle of each floatchamber there are 3 tubes - pilot, main jet and "xxxxx"?
in the third one there seems to be very limited passage through. i dont have any compressed air available at the moment, so i took a filled ballon and put it on top of it and almost none came out. what is the function of it and is it supposed to be like that or have i found the sinner??

Next time i go to the garage ill try to clean the spark plugs once more, just to be sure ;)

And thanks for the help so far guys, cheers!

Drunkn Munky
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Drunkn Munky » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:00 am

The 3 tiny holes are part of the pilot circuit, remove the pilot jet and spray cleaner down the pilot hole, it should run clearly through the the 3 holes if the circuit is clear. You need compressed air and sometimes need to blow air back up through the circuit via the 3 holes to clear it.

Marcodre
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Marcodre » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:15 pm

A little update! ;)

- I took the carbs and stripped them completely down and gave everything 30 minuts in a ultrasonic bath, cleaned by hand, blown with compressed air and finally lubricated the moving parts.
- Went home and pulled all the spark plugs once more to wipe and clean them until they looked like new ones.
- charged the battery

Then it took some 8-10 tries to start it until the carbs were filled with fuel. waited 10 minuts for everything to settle, then tried again and within the first 0,5 sec it fired up and a very welcomed smell of exhaust filled the little garage! ;D
And now she runs like never before, no more hesitation upon turning the throttle.
Whats left is only to synch the carbs which i have never done before, so that's gonna be exciting :)

last but not least i wanna thank you guys for your help, it is much appreciated!
Cheers!