NC30 Emission values?

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
fritzost
Settled in member
Reactions:
NC30 Emission values?

Post by fritzost » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:15 pm

Hi follks

I am new in the 400 business and also new to this forum.
For some irational reasons which you for sure can understand, I have importet a NC30 into Switzerland.
This beautiful bike has never officially be importet and registered here so my resonse from the local authorities is that I have to proofe it is compliant to the emission regulations valid in 1991.

So I have to either go to a test center and pay a fortune or eventually one of you can help out here?
Is there anyone who has somehow tested or measured the emission gazes or has access to such a report? As more offical the better.

In case it would not be compliant I would need to think about technical ways to reduce exhaust gazes (CO, HC, N) by the use of a catalyst.

Ok, I hope you may be able to provide some help or guidance so that I can be succesful with my winter project!

Cheers from Switzerland!

:rocks:

Neosophist
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: CBR954
Re: NC30 Emission values?

Post by Neosophist » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:59 pm

I think you are bettter to post on Sweedish forum and find another rider who has the same bike in Sweeden. I think i've seen Sweedish users on here before.

Testing an old bike might have high emissions.

Not sure how a catalyst would work without fuel injection and an o2 sensor to control the heat of the catalyst.

Maybe make friends with somebody at a test center.
xivlia wrote:i dont go fast on this bike so really do not need a rear brake.. /
vic-vtrvfr wrote:Ask xivlia for help, he's tackled just about every problem u could think of...

JZH
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: RSCBRRVFVFRST

Post by JZH » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:47 pm

Sweden?

Is yours a Japanese import or a European import? There were a few NC30s sold new in France, Germany and Austria, in '91-'92. The Germans probably documented everything...

Ciao,
JZH

London, UK/So.Cal., USA
www.vsource.org

Morespeedvicar
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Fzr400, NC30, CB50J, SS50Z KLR

Post by Morespeedvicar » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:24 am

Hi, I've seen cat converters on cars with carbs. it prob work, but may not be as accurate as it could be.

Merry Christmas

Neosophist
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: CBR954

Post by Neosophist » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:24 am

Morespeedvicar wrote:Hi, I've seen cat converters on cars with carbs. it prob work, but may not be as accurate as it could be.

Merry Christmas
Yes that is true as the Cat was invented in the 50's I believe. However, the carb'd cars that used CAT's has specialized carbs that had a feedback system to help control the mixture as catalytic converters like to be run slightly on the lean side of stochiometric.

If they don't have the right fuel mixture going through the exhaust system then they don't work properly so would be a waste of time as the emissions won't be any lower.

If the bike is well maintained it's going to run cleaner than that what the op was needing.

Looking at the German data if available might be a way to go but the Euro bikes were slightly different than a JDM bike so it all depends on if the testers class them as the same bike.
xivlia wrote:i dont go fast on this bike so really do not need a rear brake.. /
vic-vtrvfr wrote:Ask xivlia for help, he's tackled just about every problem u could think of...

Morespeedvicar
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Fzr400, NC30, CB50J, SS50Z KLR

Post by Morespeedvicar » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:46 am

One of the ones I has seen was on something like a metro, with just a normal su carb!!!!!! I did wonder if it made any difference. lol

fritzost
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by fritzost » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:54 pm

Hi

my bike is a German model. I found out that fulfills the norm ECE R40.01
Now I am about to find out which values this means.

In any case it seems that according this standard NOx was not a criterium. Thats a problem because the standard I have to be compliant to is the FAV 3-2 standard, which includes NOx limits.

My thinking is that with a cat I can reduce HC and CO but NOx needs a different cat technic.

Anyone has experiences or know the threshold values for the ECE R40.01 standard?