NC30 Brembo rear caliper conversion

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
DAC
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 89 NC30
Re: NC30 Brembo rear caliper conversion

Post by DAC » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:50 pm

vfrman wrote:
jpete41996 wrote:Rick,
Will this bracket also work with an NC30 equipped with the RC30 anti-squat rear break linkage? I assume yes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm going to assume yes as well, since you don't change out the caliper mounting plate when fitting the RC30 bits.
I'm assuming yes as well, and will add my name to the list please Rick.

Regards,

Dave.
RWB NC30

mwarriner
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by mwarriner » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:17 am

Hi Rick,

Please count me in as well.

Best,

Mike.

adamvfr
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by adamvfr » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:31 pm

Count me in!

Whats the expected turn around on these?

jpete41996
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR 400

Post by jpete41996 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:07 pm

Rick said yes to the RC30 anti squat set up. I figured as much!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If i can wrench on cars, bikes should not be a problem, right?...

RickOliver
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by RickOliver » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:48 pm

OK - I have placed an order for a batch of ten brackets on the assumption that even if they are a relatively slow seller there will be an ongoing demand.

Not a cheap thing to produce so the provisional price is £95.00 for the mounting kit with you providing your own caliper and hose.

If anybody wants a complete `bolt on` conversion with a new Brembo caliper and HEL braided hose I will work out a package price for that.

I know that the Tyga NC35/NSR250 rear Brembo kit is a bit cheaper but it is a less complicated bit of machining because the RVF mounting bracket is more `2 dimensional` than the NC30 version and also it has Far Eastern production costs whereas mine is a UK-made product (no criticism of Tyga`s quality implied, just stating the economic realities).

Looking at a delivery time of around 6 weeks for the first production run - I will add a post on here nearer the time when I am ready to take firm orders and payments.

Rick

fatpete
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35 (RIP), CBR900RR, NC 30

Post by fatpete » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:32 pm

Rick,

I will be interested in the set when you can work out a price for that.

Cheers

Pete

RickOliver
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by RickOliver » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:56 pm

Price for a complete conversion kit including the hose and a new caliper should be £225.00 using the 20.6950.51 caliper.

With the slightly smaller 20.5161.43 caliper the kit price would come down to £205.00 but I need to do a test fitting with that caliper to make sure that I can get around the potential issues arising from the fact that it is designed to be mounted at the top of a rear disc so the hose outlet and bleed nipple are actually at the wrong end of the caliper body.

Rick

CMSMJ1
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30-No9

Post by CMSMJ1 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:03 pm

can you confirm the standard rear M/C will work with the Brembo caliper? An integrated reservoir option as a full kit would pique my interest some more.

Saying that, I have not had a caliper fitted for the last 2 years and only want one to make my bike road legal again!
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

The V4 is the law..

NC30 - No9 - my old mate

benny
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30 (track), ZX-9R (road)

Post by benny » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:03 pm

CMSMJ1 wrote:can you confirm the standard rear M/C will work with the Brembo caliper? An integrated reservoir option as a full kit would pique my interest some more.

Saying that, I have not had a caliper fitted for the last 2 years and only want one to make my bike road legal again!
No rear brake on a track bike? Or just in your shed?
BRS Racing for up to date bike build and race results.
TT Zero for the electric Superbike build.
DM104 for the road race team.

RickOliver
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by RickOliver » Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:14 pm

Another quick update as I`m still messing around with this -

I`ve now test fitted the slightly cheaper 20.5161.43 caliper using my spare swingarm and it looks as if that will work out OK. It needs a slightly longer hose with a different fitting - I have one of those on order so I should be able to do a full working build onto my bike next weekend. This will also sort out whether or not the Brembo setup will fit with my VFR750 rear wheel conversion.

For anyone obsessed with unsprung weight reduction, the larger Brembo caliper is around 100g lighter than the OE Honda unit and the smaller Brembo another 100g lighter than that.

The question about master cylinders is a valid one - a few quick `back of an envelope` calculations suggest that it will require around 60% more fluid displaced to move the 32mm brembo pistons the same distance as the 25mm Honda ones. Rear brake pedal travel on my clean and perfectly working stock NC30 system is 10mm to put the brake full on so the Brembo conversion would require 16mm - not sure how how `soft` that would feel, I will try it and see. Obviously the positive side of that extra travel would be proportionately more braking power due to the better hydraulic ratio.

Applying my usual `parts bin engineering` approach I have discovered that the rear master cylinder from the mid/late 90s CBR1000F, CBR1100XX and ST1100 models is the same fitment as the NC30 but 17mm bore (vs 14mm for the NC30) so if a bigger bore cylinder is required there`s a quick, cheap fix from your favourite breaker...

Rick