nc31 project

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Patch29
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: nc31 project

Post by Patch29 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:10 am

The red looks good...

bureklton
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: CB400 Super Four

Post by bureklton » Fri May 08, 2015 3:36 pm

Hey bludclot,

Enjoyed your previous updates, have you made any more progress since?

bludclot
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: FZS1000 - ivanised / modified

Post by bludclot » Fri May 08, 2015 7:27 pm

yes but not much... have (re) prepared all the bodywork and bought myself some land rover alveston red metallic and lacquer. have painted the right hand side panel so far, was waiting to have all the bits painted before posting pictures. i love the colour both in and out of the sun and there's no imperfections - better than the professional painter's results! i had to paint the inside of the shed with wood preserve and fit a large and powerful extractor fan in order to achieve dust and hair free results. my work has gone ballistic meaning that i don't have much time to push this along at a great rate but hopefully pictures soon!

Superjack44
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: 1CB400 SF 1 VFR800 1 Moto Guzz

Post by Superjack44 » Sat May 09, 2015 9:48 am

Looking forward to the end results.

Superjack44
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: 1CB400 SF 1 VFR800 1 Moto Guzz

Post by Superjack44 » Sat May 09, 2015 9:49 am

Looking forward to the end results.
There were dents in my tank but I filled them with solder rather than filler .

bludclot
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by bludclot » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:29 pm

paint is well under way now. here's the left hand side panel with 4 coats of red and 5 coats of lacquer. polishing and decals still to be applied obviously. the finish is flawless!

the rest of the plastics are finished to the same specification and standards, the tank had one coat of lacquer to seal the colour and i have let this dry and harden in order that i can apply the decals before another 5 coats of lacquer...
Last edited by bludclot on Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bludclot
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by bludclot » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:25 pm

can you tell which part this is?

as painted, yet to be compounded and 3 stepped...

Allrover
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: CB400 Super Four NC31

Post by Allrover » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:23 pm

The paint job looks really good, and I love the choice of colour. Don't be discouraged by the lack of regular comment on the site, I bet there are a lot of people like me that enjoy the thread. Thought I would say hi so you know we are out here.

I've got a CB400 resto under way too, but I ride mine to work every day so I have to keep it running. So it's superficial stuff only. Very enjoyable just tinkering though isn't it...

bludclot
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by bludclot » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:39 pm

thank you. comments like that are really appreciated.

here's the tail piece:

i am quite keen to finish the bodywork and move on to some mechanicals now, just the fuel tank to finish.

bludclot
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by bludclot » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:08 pm

i invested in a machine polisher and some compounding heads. previously i have done all my compounding, polishing and waxing by hand, so thought that it was about time to start machining for quicker and (hopefully) better results. there's many dire warnings and naysayers on the net regarding machine compounding and polishing.... i was quite happily compounding the right hand cover panel when it leapt out of my hand and landed quite hard on the patio, scratching and marking it obviously. i didn't mind this at all as it immediately became my practice piece. i sanded the lacquer, gave it a g3 session and finished with a soft head and hologram remover - and what results! stunning, better than i used to achieve by hand in about a quarter of the time. but afterwards i hit it with some course paper in order to re-paint it... so i am happy that i can achieve professional quality paint results within a decent time frame.